Options

BIND Question

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
I not certain if this will be off-topic, pardon me if so, but I didn't know where else to post the question.

Also I'm not currently looking to sit for this exam, but just I have general question about the error I am seeing.

When setting up BIND on a fedora box using this tutorial here. I get to step 12 and encounter the error. I figured it would be an opportunity to explore this together icon_study.gif and learn more about linux.

I get the error when I try to start the service code=exited, status=2/INVALID ARGUMENT

It also says to continue to look in the logs files.

I have looked over the named.conf file and cleaned up a couple of things, and not sure what might be wrong. I want to look in the log files, but so unfamiliar with linux I'm not sure where they are at?
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I not certain if this will be off-topic, pardon me if so, but I didn't know where else to post the question.

Also I'm not currently looking to sit for this exam, but just I have general question about the error I am seeing.

When setting up BIND on a fedora box using this tutorial here. I get to step 12 and encounter the error. I figured it would be an opportunity to explore this together icon_study.gif and learn more about linux.

I get the error when I try to start the service code=exited, status=2/INVALID ARGUMENT

It also says to continue to look in the logs files.

I have looked over the named.conf file and cleaned up a couple of things, and not sure what might be wrong. I want to look in the log files, but so unfamiliar with linux I'm not sure where they are at?

I should try to implement and follow the exact steps to troubleshoot this. Since the error message is little bit vague, I think it could be a small syntax error.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I wrote a small guide for BIND here:
    Linux and UNIX HOW-TO: Create simple master and slave DNS Servers | Sahara Geeks

you can try it, and compare it with the guide you posted and see where the mistake happened
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Could you post the file? Maybe just a white space or syntax error you just need fresh eyes on.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Gents,

I apologize as I am very much a novice at linux, but tasked with this challenge. so please excuse my ignorance!

I rebooted last night after the post and now I'm no longer getting the error and BIND is running, however the named.conf I created appears to be the default file ... I'm so confused!!!

I created all the dir and files in the tutorial, but after rebooting it looks exactly like the default and nothing like my file. Some crazy stuff, right there! The saga will continue shortly ...
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    Ok, I feel like I'm am on the verge of getting BIND running, but getting the following error...
    [root@localhost log]# tail messages
    Nov 4 23:03:39 localhost named: internal/17.168.192.in-addr.arpa/IN: unknown class/type
    Nov 4 23:03:39 localhost named: zone localhost.localdomain/IN: loaded serial 0
    Nov 4 23:03:39 localhost named: zone localhost/IN: loaded serial 0
    Nov 4 23:03:39 localhost named: zone 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0
    Nov 4 23:03:39 localhost named: zone 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0
    Nov 4 23:03:39 localhost named: zone 0.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0
    Nov 4 23:03:39 localhost named: zone mydomain.com/IN: loaded serial 2011052501
    Nov 4 23:03:39 localhost named: zone 2.130.31.66.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 2011052501
    Nov 4 23:03:39 localhost systemd[1]: named.service: control process exited, code=exited status=2
    Nov 4 23:03:39 localhost systemd[1]: Unit named.service entered failed state.
    [root@localhost log]#

what does the first message mean... it seems like it's loading everything else, but states unknown class / type ... below is the portion of my named.conf file that is referneced... any ideas??
    # SETS ZONES FOR INTERNAL
    zone "mydomain.com" IN {
    type master;
    file "mydomain.lan";
    allow-update { none;};
    };
    #sets zones for internal
    zone "17.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
    type master;
    file "132.17.168.192.db";
    allow-update {none; };
    };
    include "/etc/named.rfc1912.zones";
    };

thanks!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Can you copy the contents of the file "132.17.168.192.db" ?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also run "named-checkzone 17.168.192.in-addr.arpa 132.17.168.192.db" and paste the output.