Options

Are there any specific certifications tht delve into reverse engineering malware

MasterBullfrogMasterBullfrog Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
And/or digital forensics that I can begin in the Winter of this year?

I've heard that the CEH isn't worth it. And if not that, are there any other good pentest/forensics related certs that I could begin training for this Winter?

Thanks much.

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't specifically about reverse engineering malware, but if you want a hands on security certification I find these VERY interesting and am strongly considering them just for the pure entertainment value.

Information Security Certifications by Offensive Security
  • Options
    Thanks, you just reminded me about the certs offered by offensive security. I was looking at the OSCP last Winter and will definitely take an attempt at it.

Are there any EC Council ones that are doable in this time frame?
  • Options
    So far it looks like:

GCIA
    OSCP
    GCFA
    CCE

Guess it's down to choosing what can be done in a month. I already know the OSCP will run me about 3 months the least.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The GCIA isn't "forensics" in the traditional sense of file-system / memory content investigation. It's very much network focused and traffic analysis. It assumes you have a basic understanding of TCP/IP and can read a little hex.

If you're looking at GIAC certs for forensics, pentesting, or malware topics, look at:
    • SEC 542
    • SEC 560
    • SEC 617
    • FOR 408
    • FOR 508
    • FOR 610
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    ^^ Thanks guys.

I'm going to do some research on those now.

edit: Lastly, I know that the EnCE training can be done online. Are there any sites you guys would recommend I steer clear from? (as in the 64hrs of training not being applicable).

Wow, those courses sure are pricey.

At this point, for namesake and others I might stick with the EnCE and CPT