Options

Well, that was disappointing

unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just sat the BGP exam and came away pretty disappointed. I passed with a 974/1000 but the exam was easier than any other that I've taken. I was expecting a good fight, but instead I knocked her out in 40 minutes and didn't break a sweat. Hopefully MPLS is harder lol...
Preparing for CCIE Written

Comments

• Options
    jaymurtiijaymurtii Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am not being sarcastic,...

If I could say that I am disappointed with a test,.....

Good deal with the pass!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

I kind of felt the same way when I did the CCIP. I think it had a lot to do with the fact I had mastered my study and test taking technique by the time I was taking those exams. Not to mention my knowledge level had risen. I think its the same for most. Might be different for people who go from CCNA to CCIP and not CCNP in the middle, but not sure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you.

Networker, I hear ya. I remember back to when I jumped from CCNA level to CCNP it was pretty nuts. I guess going from one professional level cert to another shouldn't be too terrible.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    unclerico wrote: »
    I just sat the BGP exam and came away pretty disappointed. I passed with a 974/1000 but the exam was easier than any other that I've taken. I was expecting a good fight, but instead I knocked her out in 40 minutes and didn't break a sweat. Hopefully MPLS is harder lol...

I shouldn't worry. From what I saw of the Boson test prep the CCIP is disappointing, rather like the MCSE+I for those of you old enough to remember. The MPLS Boson exam is overloaded with **** terminology. It wont help you design an MPLS core and configurations on both the Boson BGP and MPLS test were more or less absent. The CCIE in SP was miles off the pace for years. In my opinion SP training in terms of Cisco certification has a long way to go. Its a shame because you blaze away at CCIP and CCIE wanting to learn so much more, but does it really teach you that much which is practical in the field? When CCIE R&S went to version 4, the numbers of CCIE SPs escalated beyond measure as lamers who wanted to **** found themselves foxed on R&S and instead took the still dumpable SP CCIE available on the web. Sad but true. I think the SP exam has been refreshed since then for the first time in years and is much more current and relevent which is good. The old exam probably cost us 3000 numbers in lightweights before they changed it and the online labdumps became moot.

But you passed so good for you!
  • Options
    Thanks Turgon. Yeah, I feel like there is so much more I can learn about BGP and I'm sure I'll feel the same way after MPLS. I definitely don't want to know the material so I can pass a silly exam...I want to KNOW this stuff in order to apply it in the field. CCIP is just a brief detour on my way to CCIE R&S so I have a feeling that my cravings will be taken care of during my 1,000,000 hours of studying/labbing to slay the beast.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I felt the exact same way about the QoS Exam I just passed. Came away with a 976, had plenty of time left on the clock and was extremely disappointed in the difficulty of the exam. Nearly all the questions were no brainers and the simulations were NOT difficult. I'm pretty excited about jumping back into BGP and MPLS after my extended hiatus from formal study. My motto with certifications still remains - it isn't the certification that provides your value, but instead the journey you take to achieve it.
  • Options
    QFT...good luck!
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Congrats on passing!

I'm hoping to sneak out of the office sometime next week and tackle the BGP+MPLS exam, wonder if my experience will be similar.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS