70-298 Has Been Scheduled

Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well, the exam has been scheduled for Friday 8/26. After reading through the Thompson Learning MCSE Guide to 70-298 book, I'm now taking the Transcenders and not doing so hot on them. I'm going to try and take another one today. After each test I've been going through the questions and explanations of the answers, which seems to help.

I had a question about the actual exam. When I scheduled it today I noticed that there is a time allotment of 3-1/2 hours. Not sure if part of that is for survey questions or not, but my question goes to those who have used the Transcenders for this exam. Is the format pretty much the same (case study then several questions following)? Also, typically how many case studies are on the actual exam?

Thanks in advance!
Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am very happy to not be in your shoes ;)

The major difference between Transcender and the real test is time. I guess I never took any of the official tests provided, rather focusing on the different modules in the practice environment. I usually allotted myself 30-40 minutes to answer the 12 questions and believed that I was being successful.

On the real thing, sometimes you get 40 minutes for 12 questions but usually you get 15-20 minutes for 4-6 questions. You still have about the same amount of material to work through, you just have a fewer questions to answer. That time goes very quickly. All but maybe 2 of my testlets took me to the last second.

Good luck.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So are you saying that each testlet has its own time limit? Does that mean once you have finished a testlet you cannot go back and review them at the end of the exam?

So are you saying that each testlet has its own time limit? Does that mean once you have finished a testlet you cannot go back and review them at the end of the exam?

Correct. Once you end a testlet, it is done. You can't carry over time or anything either, so you are always fighting with that clock.

I think they also revised the test recently. I was going off intel for other test where people were saying 3-4 testlets. I've seen several people on this forum (including myself) seeing double that. Be prepared for 2.5-3 hours of rush rush rush.
    Here is the review of my experience I wrote back in June.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    This was by far the hardest test I've ever taken. I was expecting 4-5 testlets for a total of 40 questions or so. In actuallity, it was about double on both. Throughout the test I was quite confident that I had not only failed, but would never be able to pass it. When the score popped up I said aloud "oh my God". I used the full time on all of the testlets except maybe 1 or 2 where I had a minute or 2 to spare.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck on the exam!

If I remember right, I had 5 or 6 testlets on my exam. My advice is to read the answers first, then the bottom 2 or 3 lines to see what they are asking for - All the information needed is in the text, you just need to filter it for the questions.

Time management is very important here.
    Thanks for letting me know guys! Sounds like it's going to be a rough one.

Well, I took the exam and failed with a score of 563. I was passing the Transcenders, but I think the main thing that got me on the actual exam was the time limit for each testlet. I would skim through the case study, then answer the questions by going back through and trying to locate the information I needed. The first testlet went fine, and I think I answered all of the questions correctly. I even had a minute or two to spare. I ended up getting a time expired message on the second testlet. I got to the last question and selected the answer with seconds left and it told me I need to scroll to the end in order to answer, then it gave me a time expired message.

Does anyone know if they count whatever questions you answered in the testlet before the time expires or do they just not credit you at all for the testlet?

Needless to say the rest of the test I made sure and answered all of the questions. The main problem was time management. Should I have just gone straight to the questions without skimming over the case studies and then backtrack? I'm not sure how to tackle this test next time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Needless to say the rest of the test I made sure and answered all of the questions. The main problem was time management. Should I have just gone straight to the questions without skimming over the case studies and then backtrack? I'm not sure how to tackle this test next time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

To answer an earlier question, I had 9 testlets. My brain was hurting by the end of it.

To answer your question above, go straight to the question and read the answers real quick. You can usually eliminate one or two. Think what is Microsoft trying to teach me in this exam? Most answers will deal with security, like IPsec or similar, not DNS or something from an earlier test. If the question asks what did the CTO say, then go back to the case study and read what he wants.

Just keep moving. You can do it! icon_profileleft.gificon_study.gificon_cool.gif
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. It helps to look for the Microsoft way in the answers. As far as counting correct answers in a testlet that you've run out of time on, I would contact M$ and see what they say.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. It helps to look for the Microsoft way in the answers. As far as counting correct answers in a testlet that you've run out of time on, I would contact M$ and see what they say.

Sometimes I know that can be the answer, but I didn't really see it on the test. I'm sure if you answer 8/9 questions you get 8/9 points. But I made it a point to have at least a guess for every answer. Coming down to a minute or two left, just stick something in. You can change it later if needed.
    I agree. The time crunch makes it hard to digest the mounds of information given. I think that if you answer a question right, you get the points, even if you run out of time.
    Still working on this?
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Still working on this?

Yes. My second attempt is actually this Friday. I just finished going through the CBT Nuggets videos for 298. I found the trainer, James Conrad, pretty interesting. I'm going to take one more Transcender exam as well. Hopefully I will get at least a 700 this time. :)

Good luck! bring back that pass.
  • Graham_84Graham_84 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Please remeber! Read all peoples repsonses and remeber chain of command. If the question is about increasing logon security and IT man says he wants pki and smart cards, you'd think smart cards is answer. If CIO or CEO says they have no money, the best option is a domain password policy. They like to catch you out :)
    Currently having a break after the MCITP:EA. Citrix or Cisco next, not sure!
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes. My second attempt is actually this Friday. I just finished going through the CBT Nuggets videos for 298. I found the trainer, James Conrad, pretty interesting. I'm going to take one more Transcender exam as well. Hopefully I will get at least a 700 this time. :)

Did you pass? Hopefully you didicon_thumright.gif
    Unfortunately I failed again. icon_sad.gif About half-way through the third testlet, my computer locked up. I had to wait in the lobby about 45 minutes while the proctor was on hold with Prometric. Finally they gave the go-ahead to reboot the computer and my test resumed from where I had left off. What surprised me a little is that I actually did worse on this exam than my first attempt. I totally bombed the section on "Creating the Conceptual Design for Network Infrastructure Security..." Needless to say I will be brushing up on that before I re-take the exam. Fortunately I have a free retake since I had bought a second shot exam pack. The first time I took the exam I skimmed over the case study before going to the questions, which really seemed to waste time. The second time around I went straight to the questions which seemed to confuse me more when going back through the case study to see what I need to look for. Does anyone have any more ideas of some study material I could use and/or advice on the exam itself (as far as time management goes)? I will probably go through CBT Nuggets again, especially the area that I am the weakest on. I'll have to do a similar method on the Transcender.

• Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sorry to hear that, you'll get it next time.
    I'm writing this exam on Monday and have to say while doing the practice questions it's more the format that is difficult, rather than the material itself and the time allocated to each testlet.

Good LUCK on your retake!!
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications
    CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
    Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

Sorry to hear you about this. The time limits can throw you off. You could time yourself on some questions and just practice being under time constraints. The 299 book was a good source of information for this exam, as well.
    I finally got past this one with a 866! :D I checked the Microsoft MCP site over the weekend and I'm now officially a MCSE! It only took me 7 years. LOL! I originally had planned on going for the 2000 track and took my first exam way back in 2004 (70-210). After failing the 70-215 the same year, I got discouraged and took a hiatus. Then I started back up again in 2008 with the 2003 track. So it's been off an on for me for several years. In any case, I can say that a big weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I will probably start the MCITP:SA/EA route next, but I haven't fully decided yet. Thanks to those on here for your help over the years, it's really been appreciated!

Congrats!! Good for you, sticking it out!
    I knew you could do it. Congratulations!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Easily my least favorite exam so far (2x Taker here). Congrats!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow 866!! You kicked butt this time, congrats. I will be taking this around Febicon_study.gif