A quick review of CompTIA Strata Green IT

aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
There's only one other post on this forum re the exam, so I thought I'd write a short review here.

It is a new exam from CompTIA "designed to enhance an IT professional's experience, knowledge, and existing IT credentials to incorporate emerging technologies shaping the global green IT industry today. IT professionals that pass the Green IT exam validate that they have the aptitude needed to effectively implement and measure green IT programs and investments." (Source: CompTIA Strata - Green IT)

I think the key point in the statement above is "enhance an IT professional's experience...to incorporate emerging technologies," and to that end the exam does a great job. In order to prepare for the exam you'd be wise to have both experience and some degree of awareness of the various organizations and policies that affect the green IT movement. It is definitely more than what some say "turn off the lights on your way out."

I purchased William Manning's book to "prepare" for this exam. I said prepare, but it's really an easy read. The book doesn't cover every question on the exam, and is heavy on the background of environmental and the green IT initiatives. The practice questions are helpful and the format is similar to that of the actual exam. There are some questions that look like they come straight from A+ and Network+ workbook. However, the focus is always on how technologies are applicable from the green IT perspective.

From a manager's perspective, this exam makes sense. It doesn't claim to be the be-all-end-all for green initiatives, and you don't have to take it to prove competency in green IT practices. However, what it does require of exam takers is awareness of policies, practices, and organizations that spearhead these recommendations. If you're familiar with LEED certifications, you know they have an appeal when dealing with contractors. Hopefully CompTIA Green IT will reach that threshold in the near future.

That said, is there any value in this exam? Only time will tell. However, like any other certification endeavor, the experience, understanding of various objectives, and accumulation of a passed exam help to validate a candidate's minimum competency in the said subject area. After all, certifications are only as good as their holders' knowledge and wisdom.

The bottom line? If you are asked to do more with less in IT operations and procurement, the exam will expose you to some interesting alternatives. If you have around $150 to spare (cost of exam + Manning's book + breakfast + gas), go ahead a take it. I know, I know, who has money lying around just waiting to be spent, right? But look under your couch, break the piggy bank, you might be able to come up with some.

Comments

• mark7tenormark7tenor Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great review of the exam!

I managed to find training presentations and practice test software through CompTIA's site. The practice tests are chock full of fill-in-the-blank questions. Does the actual exam follow the standard certification exam format with multiple choice questions?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mark7tenor wrote: »
    Great review of the exam!

I managed to find training presentations and practice test software through CompTIA's site. The practice tests are chock full of fill-in-the-blank questions. Does the actual exam follow the standard certification exam format with multiple choice questions?

Links please? :)

aethereos:

Very nice review!

Are you going to take the exam? If so please give us a review of exam :)
  • nrkmannnrkmann Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Manning is one of those guys who writes a book a month (he has 70+ books to his credit) so don't expect the research or editing to be very good (see the reviews on amazon.com). Lots of mistakes in the book, but it will get you through the exam if you use the CompTIA exam objectives as your guide as to what to remember for the exam.
  • beingcertifiedbeingcertified Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok but who here has actually taken the exam? I would like to take it since it's only 30 questions I hear. Any feedback????
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Ok but who here has actually taken the exam? I would like to take it since it's only 30 questions I hear. Any feedback????

Source? CompTIA says it's 70 questions. Strata IT Fundamentals
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Source? CompTIA says it's 70 questions. Strata IT Fundamentals

Sorry I'm getting confused. It appears there is 2 courses... one is the FC0-U41 and the other is the GR1.. however, once again. WHO has taken these two exams????
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I would be interested in taking them, but I'd like to hear some feedback first
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Ok Green IT only has 30 questions. Strata has 70... once again, I too would like to hear some feedback, if not I'm going to order the Green Tech book study that for a couple or days and try to take the exam. I figure what the heck... just passed Network Plus yesterday.. this can't be worse than that! ;)
    Ok I just took the Green IT exam and passed. I started studying around the 15th after I posted this, read up on the Green IT book and did some practice questions. Now I guess I'm onto Strata before delving back into Server + and Project + and the half dozen other CompTia Cert's I plan on getting.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I am interested in this cert. I think it may pad the resume a bit, plus give me a head-above-the-crowd with a few local employers I would love to get in with.

Which book did you use?
    swild wrote: »
    I am interested in this cert. I think it may pad the resume a bit, plus give me a head-above-the-crowd with a few local employers I would love to get in with.

Which book did you use?

If you are asking me about the Green IT book? NONE. I couldn't find one. I went to UCeritfy and took the practice exams that they have for 2 says and once I got almost everything right called and took the exam. I literally studied the questions in 2 days and took the exam. Now I'm trying to study for Strata which is NOT Green IT and is more basic before I take the A+... anyone taken Strata? Found any good books?
  • KoryKory Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Taking this one tomorrow, I read the Green IT book, we'll see if its enough.

UPDATE: It was enough. I was actually kind of shocked at how quickly I finished. The only thing I think I lost points on was remembering what each cpu company calls their processor scaling tech.