Options

IT Project+ info

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
Welcome to our new IT Project+ forum. :D

CompTIA's IT Project+ certification is for those who need "knowledge of business practices, interpersonal skills and project management processes, in addition to the ability to effectively plan, implement and complete IT projects on time and within your budget."

As with other CompTIA certs, it is good for life, no need to recertify.

The exam consists of 80 multiple choice questions and requires a score of 499 ( icon_rolleyes.gif ) to pass.

The exam code for the current IT Project+ exam is PK0-002. (released on November 10, 2003)

icon_arrow.gifExam Objectives

icon_arrow.gifArticle at TechRepublic

icon_arrow.gifInformation about IT Project+ at Cramsession.com

icon_arrow.gifAnother article at CertCities.com

Comments

• Options
    bishunbishun Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The above is woefully outdated. Please see: CompTIA Project+ Certification

The 2009 (PK0-003) format is 100 questions, with a 90 minute time-limit.
    The necessary score to pass is 710/900 (or about 65% according to CBTNuggets).

Exam Objectives

The exam covers pre-project set-up/initiating; project planning; project execution and delivery; change, control and communication; project closure.
  • Options
    beingcertifiedbeingcertified Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking at this being next after I take Strata.. Any feedback on Project +? Any ideas what are good books to study? What practice questions I should look at to give me a good feel as to what I shoudl expect???? For those of us who cannot watch CBT Nuggets, what other video is out there? Thanks!
  • Options
    GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any ideas what are good books to study?

Your best resources are probably going to be:

CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003
    by Kim Heldman and William Heldman
    and the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your best resources are probably going to be:

CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003
    by Kim Heldman and William Heldman
    and the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)

I DO NOT recommend you couple the PMBOK with the above study guide UNLESS you are seriously going for the PMP. Project+ is based on PMI, to be sure, but the PMBOK is unnecessary if all you want is Project+.

PMBOK is NOT for the faint of heart and I did not need to deal with it when I went for it. The PK0-003 guide by the Heldmans should be all you need if you want to pass Project+.
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everything you need is in the newest edition of Kim Heldman's book (PK0-003). The exam objectives do not include the psychological theories, though, Phillips project+ book is incorrect in stating one MUST know these to pass Project+. You don't. They're not in the exam objectives. As for PMBOK....no point for Project+. It corresponds almost completely with PMBOK anyway (except CompTIA has their own definition of "Triple constraints and differs on this point with PMBOK but Heldman's book points this out) so what Heldman covers is what you need to know and you should do well. It's a great exam to prep you for the CAPM. For the CAPM, it's all PMBOK 4th edition...and, for those that have CAPM on the radar, I think you have until June, 2013 before the exam changes to cover the new PMBOK 5th edition. But, if you have Project+ under your belt, the CAPM should be familiar territory but is based completely on PMBOK 4th edition. No scenario based questions on the CAPM that I am aware of, then again, better check the objectives. From what I hear on PMHUB and from those that have taken both, the CAPM is longer (150 questions) and you must know a bit more. Yet, after Project+ I read several chapters in PMBOK 4th and it made perfect sense. For Project+, Heldman's book is fine. For CAPM, PMBOK, PMBOK and yes...PMBOK. It's an exam on the PMBOK (and for now) 4th edition. No more. No less.
    Now, the PMP...don't have it and don't plan on it but it's a different ball game.