A+ or network+

newbee1newbee1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
As you can tell I am new to the IT world having been a paper pusher for the past 21 years. I would like to branch out to the IT world but I don't know which way to turn. TO Start should I take A+ or network + and what is the difference between them? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ad5mbad5mb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A+ certification tells people you know about PCs. Network+ is obviously about networks.

If you are going to do networks that only use Macs and other computers, skip A+. I can't see that as realistic, so do A+.

My advice, which I followed, is

A+
    Network+
    Server+
    Security+

in that order. i-Net+ was a waste, IMHO.
  • newbee1newbee1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. Since I first need to learn about PC's I guess that i'll start with A+. Could you recommend some good A+ books or course materials?
  • Kawi130Kawi130 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    New to the site here too but I have been studying with the Mike Meyers Certification Passport book. There are a few others listed on this site as well.

Good luck
  • ad5mbad5mb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a pathological reader, so I bought them all. Kept one book in each car, some at work, some at home. Every book has one thing the others don't have.

I prefer to recommend publishing houses, rather than titles.

Syngress, Exam Crams are superb.

McGraw Hill Osborne is excellent.

Sybex doesn't impress. Just a little less info than the others.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Newbee, there are lots of places that you can come across material without buying books....

I would post where, but I am sure the post would be removed... Just go looking through peer-peer networks. You will find a vast array of info... Just search a+
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • magikratmagikrat Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had been in the AS400 world for many years and decided to pursue MCSE to make myself more marketable in the thin job market. I took both A+ and Network+ to get a good foundation and it was a good move. Network+ is especially valuable for pursuing Security+ (I'm taking it this week) or MCSE if you're rusty on TCP/IP.

I don't think any of the books I've used have been particularly good, so I can't recommend any. Take all the practice exams you can...
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    From what I'm seeing and the training requests I get on a daily basis, I still see a very strong niche market for AS400 expertise. Especially I-Series people. Don't sell yourself short, the key is make sure you're marketing to the right people.
  • magikratmagikrat Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There's still quite a bit of demand if you're an RPG p/a, but I have pretty limited RPG skills since I was primarily a system administrator and BA. The company I got laid off from had 5 AS400 people on staff and now only have 2 MCSE network admins as the whole IT department. So I figure it's time to make a change hehe...
  • helms20helms20 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just took both certs this week. I would suggest if you don't know a lot about routers/switches/bridges etc... then take the A+ first. That will give you a good foundation for the Network+ exam.
    "Our arrows will blot out the sun."
    "Then we will fight in the shade."