So, today i decided to "Man up" and take my ROUTE exam....

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
...and passed! :D meh! 2 down 1 to go.

It was an interesting exam looking back. I felt the exam Q's were mostly straight forward, i.e. they didnt ramble on and on and got to the point. I would say in usual cisco style it took a good few reads to try a decipher what the hell they were trying to ask :). i felt i rushed a little on the questions but you get plenty of time so for anyone else just relax and try not to panic like me :D

Overall i used:

GNS3
FLG / OLG
Cisco Docs
GNSvaults
Techexams
Routing TCP/IP. Imo, it gives great knowledge but most of what i used it for felt like overkill for this exam anyway.

Ive been studying for this exam for about 3-4 months on and off. I started my CCNP a long time ago but a combo of busy work/uni/social life has put this on hold. Finally im back on the track and its a good feeling to know im only 1 away.

Im tempted to go full blown on the TSHOOT and hopefully get it out of the way before xmas but im not sure if thats realistic tbh.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nel wrote: »
    ...and passed! :D meh! 2 down 1 to go.

Congrats!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Congrats! Go get a beer now :D

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Go get a beer now :D

I already have been, since 4pm :D.

Thanks guys.

• DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Go take the TSHOOT exam soon. You shouldn't need any more studying since you have passed SWITCH and ROUTE.

Check out Kevin Wallace's TSHOOT Bull's Eye Strategy videos on YouTube.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

icon_thumright.gif

And enjoy the beers!

drunken_smilie.gif
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    nel,

It is possible to do TSHOOT in less than a month. I read the OCG in a week. Almost all review. First three chapters are a must though. Then, I started doing all of the Boson practice questions and practice trouble tickets. Then I studied the Topology and tried to think of where they would put problems. Like, where else would you have a BGP problem except R1? It's the only router running BGP. Then I sat down one night and wrote out a complete configuration for the entire network.

After that, I just kept doing the Boson practice trouble tickets until I could find the problems in about 2 - 5 minutes, just to get a really good procedure down while I waited for exam day.

If you know the SWITCH and ROUTE material, it can be done.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the tips re TSHOOT guys. i think thats what i'll aim to do. Ive decided that fri/sat of this weekend was going to be "my time" after such a week of busyness! its been a good one though...successfully installed new core routers using ASRs and passed my route :D. Good times. Tonight its time for MW3 i think :D.

Tomorrow will be when TSHOOT begins!

Whats the lab manual for TSHOOT like? worth a buy?

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, it sounds like you really nailed it. And thank you for the write-up of your study materials, that'll be a big help to someone planning to take this exam in the future, (like me.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass, it sounds like you really nailed it. And thank you for the write-up of your study materials, that'll be a big help to someone planning to take this exam in the future, (like me.)

thanks man.

Few more tips:

1) know your show commands and how to interpret the output. I done alot of labbing that helped with this.
    2) know the finer details for some of the protocol details. I felt alot of memorisation was required for it in relation to facts and figures, even when not directly asked (or maybe it was just me).
    3) as always, read the questions very carefully and consider the consequences on the answer you give if related to configuration. Theres plenty of time in the exam to do so.
    4) know your subnetting as normal.
    5) know how to debug the material and understand debug output.