Need OSI model Help

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Morning,
I am currently attending my local community and I am taking my CCNA/ Cisco Networking Academy course. We are currently working on the OSI model
and I am not happy with the score of 87%. I thought I knew a-lot about the OSI model but that test took a-lot longer then it should.

I printed out from google images an OSI Layer map and dusted off an old N10-003 Network Plus book to re-read the OSI model section.
Does anyone know where I can get some specific OSI model questions so I can study and review, I am not looking for brain **** just a place that has good questions and answers so I can review for CCNA exam.

In addition I have already printed out the CCNA TechNote: 7-layer OSI Model from this site. I am seeing if anyone else has any other suggestions.

Patrick
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    What are you having problems with?
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    7) Application layer- User needs access to network resource. This layer makes sure that the neccessary resource exists between nodes and authentication occurs here. (DNS, HTTP, Firewall, SMTP, SNMP, POP3, Telnet).
    6) Presentation layer- Deals with data formatting, encryption/decryption and compression.
    5) Session layer- Creates, maintains and termonates sessions between host. Also, separates application data from another application data.
    4) Transport layer- Creates a logical end to end connection (virtual circuit) between host and segments data. Makes sure that data gets to destination error free. (TCP, UDP)
    3)Network layer- Deals with IP and routing. Determines best path in a networking and keeps track what devices are on the network. (IP, ARP, RARP, ICMP)
    2) Datalink layer- Wireless access points, DSL, Cable Modem, HDLC, PPP, Ethernet, Frame Relay and mac address. Deals with the physical transmittion of data.
    1) Physical layer- binary (1,0) bits, cables, plugs, pins, voltage.

TCP/IP MOdel
    1)Application layer - same as app, presentation and session layer
    2)Transport layer- same as transport layer of OSI model.
    3)Internet layer- same as network layer
    4)Network access layer- same as data link and physical layer

Data is simply called data on the App, presentation and session layer.
    Data is called segments on the transport layer.
    Data is called Packets in the Network layer.
    Data is called Frames on the data link layer.
    Data is called Bits on the Physical layer.

***** I Hope this helps. ******
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    Morning,
    I am currently attending my local community and I am taking my CCNA/ Cisco Networking Academy course. We are currently working on the OSI model
    and I am not happy with the score of 87%. I thought I knew a-lot about the OSI model but that test took a-lot longer then it should.

I printed out from google images an OSI Layer map and dusted off an old N10-003 Network Plus book to re-read the OSI model section.
    Does anyone know where I can get some specific OSI model questions so I can study and review, I am not looking for brain **** just a place that has good questions and answers so I can review for CCNA exam.

In addition I have already printed out the CCNA TechNote: 7-layer OSI Model from this site. I am seeing if anyone else has any other suggestions.

Patrick

If you eventually pick up the Boson exam pack you can filter out questions by words (i.e., OSI) to get questions. Did you get Labsim with your B&M's course? That also has OSI specific questions. For free alternatives, you might try to search for some exams from this site or on their facebook page, but I'm not sure how specific their stuff is to a particular topic. Also, a lot of their stuff is pay only as well. You might just try googling "free osi model exam questions." That seemed to turn up some legitimate results.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes this was very helpful thank you.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino