Frame Relay cloud diagram

altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194

Forgive me for my frustration... But is the topology on the right the same as what Cisco's topology show on the left? Minus the labels?

I get all confused when I see the Cisco topology sometimes. There's S0/0/0 on the side of R1, but at the same time there's a freakin link connecting to R2 and R3, and a link connecting to the middle cloud. That's confusing as hell for me.

I basically drew my own in Packet Tracer and wanted to know if this is the correct understanding. Do those dotted lines represent virtual circuits?
CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
Cisco: CCENT, CCNA

Comments

• cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A cloud in a drawing generally indicates you don't know what the devices inside the cloud look like. In this drawing there is likely a single frame relay switch inside the cloud that is being used to provide the virtual circuits between the individual routers. The dotted lines do represent virtual circuits.
  • altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    A cloud in a drawing generally indicates you don't know what the devices inside the cloud look like. In this drawing there is likely a single frame relay switch inside the cloud that is being used to provide the virtual circuits between the individual routers. The dotted lines do represent virtual circuits.

Hmm ok. Thanks
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks like you actually have it wrong.

There should be one central cloud that all 3 routers connect to and R1 is the hub with DLCI 102 and 103. What the dotted lines are expressing is the virtual circuits between routers, but they are all only going through one cloud and are in the same subnet from what I can see.

So what you'd actually have is...

R2 S0/0 is DLCI 101 (because they are only locally significant)
    |
    |
    <cloud>
    R1 would have DLCI 102 going to R2 and DLCI 103 going to R3 through the FR network.
    |
    |
    R3 S0/0 DLCI is 101 for the same reason

I hope that doesn't confuse you.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    advanex1 wrote: »
    It looks like you actually have it wrong.

There should be one central cloud that all 3 routers connect to and R1 is the hub with DLCI 102 and 103. What the dotted lines are expressing is the virtual circuits between routers, but they are all only going through one cloud and are in the same subnet from what I can see.

So what you'd actually have is...

R2 S0/0 is DLCI 101 (because they are only locally significant)
    |
    |
    R1
    <cloud> R1 would have DLCI 102 going to R2 and DLCI 103 going to R3 through the FR network.
    |
    |
    R3 S0/0 DLCI is 101 for the same reason

I hope that doesn't confuse you.

That makes perfect sense actually. I think I finally got it. I took a break. Too much in a day. Thanks man :D
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, I fixed the "diagram" to show everything going through the cloud. The way I had it formatted originally wasn't showing up correctly...

You should now see all routers going to the cloud and R1 is the HUB.

Glad this helped you.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog