What books are you using or plan to use and why?

ace123ace123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
What books are out there .
Some may not be in the store or I might have forgot to list one .
What books are you using or plan to use and why?

1) Sybex
2) The Server+ Certification Bible
3) Server+ Certification Training Guide
4) Certification All-in-One Exam Guide
5) Server+ Exam Prep
6) Server+ ExamCram
7) Certification Passport
icon_cool.gif Certification Training Pack
9) Exam Cram
10) Other
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• timharpurtimharpur Inactive Imported Users Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After reading Sybex (and usually one other source just for a different point of view) I hit the Transcenders practice tests. So far I've managed to complete one cert every 3 weeks, with no fails yet (if I pass Server+ that'll make 5 certs using this approach).

Bottom line is, whichever book(s) you choose, always use at least 2 books from different vendors to get slightly different topic coverage, and then hit the practice tests and re-read the material you're getting wrong. If you can pull of a pass on Transcenders you will probably pass the real thing.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I'm using

Server+ Certification Training Guide and Server+ Exam Prep .
    I've enjoyed both of these. I also read Server+ for Dummies--not sufficent by itself, but a good introduction.

I tried reading Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, but it was kind of boring to me. Although it's a great reference with lots of info.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    1) Sybex
    2) The Server+ Certification Bible (Wiley)
    6) Server+ ExamCram 2

I used all these resources. I never read one book. Old resource like the Sever+ by Dr. Wiley laid down my initial foundation for the Server+. The pratice test in The Server+ Certification Bible and ExamCram 2 were priceless...
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    CompTIA Server+ Certification

Excellent book. It is very easy to understand and address each Server+ objective one-by-one. It also clearly states common misconceptions, i.e. RAID 1+0 = RAID 10, etc.
  • allmightypcallmightypc Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    study material info:
    http://www.course.com/catalog/product.cfm?isbn=978-1-4239-1457-0
    Great material for $60 measure up testing cd and audio/visual learning cd included.
    This worked for me.[/url]
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    I used Sybex and some white papers from vendor side...also the techexam forum
  • CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Exam Cram Server+, ISBN: 0-7897-3368-4 (main book). You get two bonus tests in the end of the book + a CD from Measure Up. You will probably not pass with this book only if you don't have some Microsoft certification and A+/Network+....the best would be to aim for them first.

I also used some Microsoft training kits for reference about RAID and my old Network+ book for cable lenghts and tools.

TIME SPENT: About four weeks and 6 hours 7 days a week.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Server+ Certification Bible (Hardcover) by Trevor Kay
    # Hardcover: 582 pages
    # Publisher: Wiley (July 29, 2001)
    # Language: English
    # ISBN-10: 0764548093
    # ISBN-13: 978-0764548093

I felt that this book covered many of the foundational aspects of the CompTIA Server+, but as readily apparent that it is outdated and lacking in detail. It does not cover all of the criteria for the current version of the Server+ exam, but I do not believe that it should be discredited as being a great supplemental source of information. I just don't believe that it is enough to be the primary study material. I felt that this book was worth my $7 USD. It was a great buy used from Amazon.

People who seem to use this book in conjunction with the ExamCram Server+ appear to do very well, that is probably the best route IMHO.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Sybex. So far chapter 6 and easy to understand.
  • thanhinfothanhinfo Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1) Sybex
    2) The Server+ Certification Bible
    5) Server+ Exam Prep
    6) Server+ ExamCram
    7) Certification Passport
    icon_cool.gif Certification Training Pack
    9) Exam Cram
    10) Other
    I think it's good for everybody who likes IT job.
    What do you want to share?
  • billyverdebillyverde Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I picked up a used copy of the Server+ Certification Bible, and while it had some good foundational info, it was also very, very outdated. Now digging into the Exam Cram 2 Server+ book, which is a vast improvement.
  • tlipurtlipur Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Now when is the 2009 exam going to be released along with new study material?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tlipur wrote: »
    Now when is the 2009 exam going to be released along with new study material?

Beta results are due in Q3 this year, so it will probably be shortly after that.
  • virgil69virgil69 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which Sybex book are you referring to? I went to Sybex's website, and they don't offer a book covering Server+.
  • djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Upgrading and Repairing Servers by Mueller.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Any updates books for this list?

The only thing I am aware of is the Jonathan Lau ebook available on Amazon.

Anyone recommend anything else?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • dizodizo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi whatthehell

would you like to share your Jonathhan Lau ebook with me, am planning to write Server+ Dec end.

thanks

Dizo
  • charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually found good technotes for Server+ on another forum. ProProfs have a decent one similar to tech notes on this forum. But you'll need to sign up a free account to access it.
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CompTIA Server+ Certification & Exam Cram, just recently picked up Storage+ & Server+ Exam Focus from ExamReview.net, very basic in context <is only a quick review guide after all> but is just another tool in my armour of study material. I do like the CompTIA book, although very big and kinda clumsy, seems to cover most objectives as advertised, 4 weeks till cert date, so hopefully they'll get me through.
    The Wings of Technology
  • sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sybex, sometimes Certification AIO. i always use 2-4 sources (books and the Internet).
    working on CCNA
  • SukarnoSukarno Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where do I find e-book material preparing for server+ ???
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sukarno wrote: »

You should be able to find them on Amazon.com, possibly in Kindle format. Also, consider CBTNuggets or TrainSignal as a training option. Considering the Server+ exam isn't super-difficult, that may be all you need to pass.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sukarno wrote: »
    Jonathan Lau's kindle book is often referenced. It is up-to-date for the SKO-003 test but even the author suggests using other material to pair up with his notes.

Amazon.com: The Concise Server+ Study Guide (SK0-003) eBook: Jonathan Lau: Kindle Store

I have it, and it's not bad, but don't expect it to solve all your problems. You'll need reference materials. I'm using two other books with this plus practice tests. I already have A+, Net+, Sec+ so a lot of this test will be review.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure