Options

tips for pasting in a very long config

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
Working on a network cut this weekend and I have a very long config (30+ pages printed out) to paste into a 7609 router. I've tried changing the console speed to 115200 but it hasn't helped much and i'm growing weary of pasting 30 lines at a time. I'm probably gonna put a dummy IP on it and use telnet or ssh. The biggest hassle is getting everything in the right order since several things are dependent on other parts of the config.

Any tips for putting long configs on a router? i've already built the config in a text file...may look at using tftp to get it on there.
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, if you have a complete configuration you can just copy it. No need to paste the config.
  • Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed. Why not just use TFTP to put it in place?
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah, just copy it across to the device then you can easily rename files etc if thats your way.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    I feel kinda bad admitting it but CCNA was probably the last time I had to use tftp to put a config on a router. Our routers are very rarely powered off or rebooted so i dont usually get a chance to build one from the ground up and pasting part of a config is usully sufficient. I guess one of the downsides of using GNS3 so much is that you forget some of the hardware basics
  • Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your router also has a usb port like the ISR's you could also format a flash drive and then copy the config on to that and us it to copy it on to the router.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If your router also has a usb port like the ISR's you could also format a flash drive and then copy the config on to that and us it to copy it on to the router.

USB should be standard on every device nowadays imo.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Try using a terminal emulator like Teraterm and drag and drop the file instead of copy and pasting.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys...tftp was the way to go. Unfortunately the RSP720s that the 7609 uses don't have a USB interface. Console, Compact Flash or Ehternet is what you have to work with