ICND2 bombed x 2 - looking for pointers...

T.AbbasiT.Abbasi Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

this past saturday, took the icdn2 for the 2nd time and ended up with a 790 =/ (70 point increase from the 1st attempt). Felt very down and frustrated, but feeling better now (the wife kinda put things in perspective so grateful to her). i just need to stick with it and get this done. i feel i'm pretty close. below is my results chart from this 2nd attempt:

87% - configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs

75% - Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements

53% - Configure and troubleshoot operation and routing on cisco devices

83% - Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs

50% - Implement and verify WAN links

Looking at the above, I can obviously see where I need to work on more. I'm just requesting some more suggestions as to what else can I do or should be doing? I dont have actual lab equipment, so far have learned everything via Packet Tracer (speaking of which, if anyone can share/recommend some save files of networks that I can load and use for studying that'll be helpful).

Anyhow, just bummed about not getting it 2nd time, but I just have to do it, gotta stay focused.

Thanks for reading.

/regards

Comments

• SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Did you read Chris Bryant's stuff? I always find his material easy to read and very helpful.
    Also, the Official Network Simulator was very helpful, but somewhat expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-640-802-Network-Simulator-2nd/dp/1587204444/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321892357&sr=8-1

I have the first edition. Apparently a second edition is out in about a month.
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, looking at your percentages across the board, I can see that you need to work more on the configuration issue with GNS3 and/or packet tracer (I know this looks obvious) and being able to know your configs inside and out. When an encaps is wrong, what commands to get there, remembering your show commands is key. If you can "show ?" you can literally find your way around anything if you know what you're looking for.

Secondly, you should be getting 100% in "Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements". That is one of the basic things you MUST know as a CCNA. You need to be able to subnet, inside and out, and be able to specify it to network requirements. Practice, practice, practice. You can do this anywhere and make up your own problems.

I'm trying to think back to my studies in regards to WAN... I'll look through my notes and make a suggestion on what I see.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you go to the cisco learning network they have some really good trouble shooting packet tracer labs. They really helped me with NAT and Frame Relay. Just go there and search for packet tracer labs should be easy to find. I failed twice as well. The first time I was not ready was going through a huge break up but didn't have time to reschedule so I said f'it. The second time I was sure that I was ready and still failed that one was really depressing.

The third time I came in and passed but I wasn't to confident that I would after clicking finish. ICND2 is a very hard test and what makes it worse is that ICND1 is very easy so it sort of makes you over confident going into ICND2.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    T.Abbasi wrote: »
    Hello all,

this past saturday, took the icdn2 for the 2nd time and ended up with a 790 =/ (70 point increase from the 1st attempt). Felt very down and frustrated, but feeling better now (the wife kinda put things in perspective so grateful to her). i just need to stick with it and get this done. i feel i'm pretty close. below is my results chart from this 2nd attempt:

87% - configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs

75% - Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements

53% - Configure and troubleshoot operation and routing on cisco devices

83% - Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs

50% - Implement and verify WAN links

Looking at the above, I can obviously see where I need to work on more. I'm just requesting some more suggestions as to what else can I do or should be doing? I dont have actual lab equipment, so far have learned everything via Packet Tracer (speaking of which, if anyone can share/recommend some save files of networks that I can load and use for studying that'll be helpful).

Anyhow, just bummed about not getting it 2nd time, but I just have to do it, gotta stay focused.

Thanks for reading.

/regards

Your marks are not really where they need to be. Study your bollocks off for two months then take it again. If its any consolation I found the same approach worked for me when I tanked the CCIE written test in the past.
  • T.AbbasiT.Abbasi Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info everyone. My issue is that I was on a deadline that unfortunately has passed (with my second failed attempt), now I've to get this done before first week of Dec. I was able to get quite a few packet tracer labs and those have been VERY helpful. I'm angry at myself because I didn't bother doing these labs extensively before, I I know I would've passed had I done them. Hopefully will see the light at the end of this tunnel. =)
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    plenty of lab workbooks and resources out there

Yet Another Cisco Blog: Free CCNA Resources
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/70766-configure-network-ccna-lab-scenarios.html

What about the bosun practise exams ? tried any ?
    The free ones that come in Odoms book and their exsim max ones.
    registering the free ones gives you a discount on the exsim max ones.
    Just download their exam environment, then register an account then enter/register the code on the piece of paper with the disk in the back of the ICND2 book.

Should help target the areas you need to put more study into to.

640-816 ICND2 Practice Exam | Boson
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    I second the suggestion of buying the ICND2 practice test. I used them for ICND1 and I'm using them for ICND2. They are extremely valuable and helpful both to simulate what the test might be like and also provide a superb study guide.

I've also used the Cisco Press exams that are built with the Boson engine. However, I have found so many blatant errors in the Cisco Press tests that it's made me wonder why they bothered including tests with the books!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP