Options

Make 2 Networks Talk

jeismajeisma Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

How do you make two networks with different subnets talk?

This two networks share the same cables.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i think you need to install a gateway of some kind. if they are peer-to-peer networks, one computer could have two network cards.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You need a router to let two subnets 'talk' with eachother. This can be a routing device (router ;) ) or a computer (server) with 2 nics and IP routing enabled.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    In my studies for Net+, it was engrained into my mind that a default gateway is the IP address of a router which gives access to other networks.

That a gateway is a computer capable of being configured as a router or a way for subnets or even LANS to communicate using completely different modes and protocols.

I know that this may be simplistic, but is my understanding of this correct, or am I completely out of town?
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The important thing between a regular router and a gateway is that a gateway translates. This can be between protocols and network technologies. Simplest example is IPX<--->IP. This 'gateway' is typically implemented in software, on a router for example.

A router is more like a big modem, it is used to route packets for 1 particular protocol between networks with identical or different network technologies. For example, 1 subnet on 10BaseT Ethernet and one on Token Ring... or ISDN, or Frame Relay. Depends on the type of physical interfaces the router is equiped with. Some Cisco routers are modular, those allow additional interfaces to be added. This is what a router can do, but if you look at why a router exists, it's best to look back at the 'modem'-ish characteristics it has, hence it is used to connect LANs and WANs over large distances.