Options

Discontiguous network question

wavewave Member Posts: 342
I just struck the following practice test question: "A network is referred to as discontiguous if it has been subnetted but the subnets are not physically accessible to each other via a router."

The correct answer is True, I answered False.

If you have three routers, A B and C all using subnets of the 10.0.0.0/8 network, even though the network is subnetted and the 10.1.0.0/16 subnet might be on the other side of router C (as opposed to a connected route) wouldn't the network still be contiguous?

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• Options
    headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe what you described is contiguous. Because it is not being divided by another major class A net. They are all subnets of class a 10.0.0.0 network.

Why Doesn't RIP or IGRP Support Discontiguous Networks? - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    btw which book did you get that from?
  • Options
    headshot wrote: »
    btw which book did you get that from?
    It was a question in the Cisco Press CCNA Flashcard exam that comes with the book. It uses the Boson exam engine but the questions are created by Cisco Press. I have found tons of incorrect questions and typos, you kind of have to pick through the questions to find decent ones. I don't know why they bothered creating that test at all seeing as they wrote it with so little care.On another note, I love the ex sim max exams by Boson.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • Options
    headshot wrote: »
    I believe what you described is contiguous. Because it is not being divided by another major class A net. They are all subnets of class a 10.0.0.0 network.

Why Doesn't RIP or IGRP Support Discontiguous Networks? - Cisco Systems

It could actually be divided by any major network (or subnet of), doesn't necessarily have to be class A. :)
  • Options
    Exactly. 192.168.1.0 with next to it 192.168.5.0 and 192.168.9.0 at the far end would be discontiguous because the network boundary is broken.

But 192.168.1.0/26 and 192.168.1.64/26 and 192.168.1.128/26 would be contiguous.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012