No SSH option with Packet Tracer 5.3.1?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So I'm working thru the CTTC Cisco CCNA Lab manual and there are a couple of exercises of using SSH to go from pc to router.

I am able to Telnet from various devices ok, however I'm guessing by Google searches that SSH isn't an option in Packet Tracer.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• bud08bud08 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As far as I know, it still doesn't work. Did you try GNS3? I have seen threads where people have used that successfully.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I've glanced at GNS3. Looks a bit more time consuming to setup Vs Packet Tracer.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • bud08bud08 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah. I had the same thoughts on it.
    However, if you were desperate for SSH it should do the job. I might go buy a physical lab before attempting that GNS3 setup. :D
    bud08 wrote: »
    I might go buy a physical lab before attempting that GNS3 setup. :D

I'm in the military overseas and don't think I have the space nor the ability to really move it around with me. I have a few routers/switches, but they are in storage back in the states.

-unknown
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm pretty sure at least one model of switch within PacketTracer can do SSH if not all of the switches.
  • tengutengu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Packet Tracer 5.3.1 is able to do SSH to routers and L3 switches. Works the same on PT as it does on my real gear. Maybe you are missing a command?
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Try using a 3650 switch or the 1841 router. They support SSH commands in packet tracer, but may not simulate all options that GNS3 would.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
    Yes, it looks like if you use certain switches in Packet Tracer, they do have the option for SSH. Did find a few videos on youtube that gave demos.

I'll lab later today and will try to post back my results.

thanks
    MosGuy wrote: »
    Try using a 3650 switch or the 1841 router. They support SSH commands in packet tracer, but may not simulate all options that GNS3 would.

-unknown
    Looks like the 3560-24PS Multilayer Switch has SSH on it in Packet Tracer.

I was able to run the following commands ok on it:
    ip domain name cisco.com
    crypto key generate rsa 

-unknown
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Attached is an activity that is included with Packet Tracer. I did this in 5.3.2.0027. I got a 100% complete by using the commands listed in this word doc. On the last page is a test to see if SSH is working. This activity has you telnet from router to router, not PC to router, but the SSH config seems to work.

hth