Options

New $79 Kindle for tech books?

jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wondering if anybody here has one of these things yet? I want to be able to read tech books in addition to my regular reading regimen but am having trouble finding any information on how it does in dealing with PDF's, quality, etc.

It would be fantastic to be able to carry one of these things around loaded up with study material.

Comments

• Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    I have a second generation Kindle. For PDF's, the text size is way small, and it doesn't support EPUB (though, the new one might, I don't know). There's also very noticable lag between page turns.

On the other hand, the battery lasts ages, and it's perfectly readable in bright sunlight. Plus, you'll have a hard time finding another decent mobile reader for $79.

Still, my preferred mobile reader is a Nook Color running CyanogenMod.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    echo465 wrote: »
    Still, my preferred mobile reader is a Nook Color running CyanogenMod.

How is that working for you? My Wife wants an ereader but I want a tablet since it can do more. This makes a better price point and does both. Wish I would have gotten an HP Touchpad lol.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This has been discussed a few times before, and while I don't own a Kindle I can share with you the result of most of the threads. Kindle DX is the Kindle you want. Normal Kindle is fine for chapter books, but technical books are generally larger and the graphics render poorly or not it all on the standard kindle screen. The DX is a bit larger (and a heck of a lot more expensive unfortunately) but it is going to get the job done.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    This has been discussed a few times before, and while I don't own a Kindle I can share with you the result of most of the threads. Kindle DX is the Kindle you want. Normal Kindle is fine for chapter books, but technical books are generally larger and the graphics render poorly or not it all on the standard kindle screen. The DX is a bit larger (and a heck of a lot more expensive unfortunately) but it is going to get the job done.

Mainly I just wanted to get some perspective just to see if the new Kindle is any different since it is sooo much cheaper than a DX (who knows, maybe DX's will start dropping in price because of this). That way it makes it easier for me to justify purchasing the $79 model. :D
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have a Nook color, love it for tech books. Saved my HUGE amounts of money in costs. I do hate the fact its hard to flip around though.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the 6 inch kindle is way too small for tech books. You want something along the size of the DX/Ipad.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking