Options

Will 2 x 3550 do?

forgottenadslforgottenadsl Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys! New to the forum!

I'm doing my CCNA at the moment and I want to do CCNP but I'm tight for money right now... Can I use 2 x 3550 for CCNA and CCNP or do I need to add 2 x 2950s to my lab? I'm using GNS3 for the routers, so I think I'm OK there but don't know what I need for switches to get me up to CCNP? What do I need?

Any help would be appreciated!

Also cool forum! Glad I found it! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    Im using 2x3550 and 2x2950 however i rarely use both 2950's. You can cover most of the material with 2x3550's but adding a single 2950 will help with labs for things like stp/vtp.
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm not sure what you're using for the lab material, but you're going to at least need two Layer 3 switches to do HSRP/VRRP/GLBP. And as CHL said, you're going to need an additional switch to do VTP, STP, etc.

Four would be optimal. If you're planning on eventually doing CCIE, it would probably pay off to get two more 3550s or higher down the line. But if money is an issue, get a 2950 in the interim.
  • Options
    forgottenadslforgottenadsl Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like I should get 2x3550s & 2x2950s for my lab. It's better money spent on a good lab than try and scrap by. If I get the CCNP then I should easily make the money spent back, just need to tighten the belt elsewhere! Thanks again guys!