~ Thinking about getting a Tablet - Which one fits my requirements? ~

SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
Point of this thread is to call out to those who are really into tablets, as my requirements are kind of specific. Id like to have all the freedom I can possibly have. So iOS devices, Kindle Fire, and the like are out of the question. It must be popular enough to have developers for new ROMs. Must have Honeycomb or be 100% Honeycomb compatible. Must have expandable memory (full size SD card a plus). Full size USB, under $400, HDMI output, longer batt life, is highly desierable (in that order). Help me out guys! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    No one, really?

I'm currently looking at the Toshiba Thrive. Has full size USB, HDMI, and SD. Battery life is very impresive. Prices range from $300 to $500 (cant really tell why). Honeycomb is preinstalled and Ive seen many agree that Ice Cream Sandwhich should work. It even seems to have a few Devs. Only problem, it seems to be sold out everywhere... LOL, figures. Still in the market, but thats definately on the list of posibility.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ASUS Transformer is $250 today if you look on slickdeals, Engaget, spoofies, etc.

Or you can preorder the Transformer Prime which is the first tablet with Tegra 3. They both meet your requirements.

The Thrive is okay too.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I picked up a Toshiba Thrive today, was going to sell my iPad 1 but now I am thinking of keeping it. Using my Android device for productivity and study. The Apple store has quite a few more well polished leisure apps especially children's apps that I did not find similar apps for or the Android version was clunky and not as supported as the Apple version. It's getting better just seems Apple has a bigger selection of games I enjoy so I am going to keep my ipad on the couch and let my son use it since he likes it a lot.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    No one, really?

Give it some time.

You did ask a question on a US holiday and a large number of the members here are in the US.

Plus, you were very specific you don't want MAC or any eReader handhelds, so a little patience and you'll see some more posting. However, if you browse the forum, you'll probably notice a good deal of the active members are fans of iPad, Kindles, Nooks, etc... so, you've completely excluded them from your discussion.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    There's also dozen or so publications out there doing tablet comparisons all the time.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    There's also dozen or so publications out there doing tablet comparisons all the time.

True dat. Engaget, CNET, Consumer Reports, etc. Also, more technology focused message boards would probably be more appropriate.

Personally, I'm using a iPad 2. It does everything I need it to. I'm not the type who feels the need to tweak this or play with the underlying engine (which I guess who Apple targets this for). I had a HP Touchpad and played with a Nook Color for a week.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Not interested in a tablet pc rather than a tablet ?

Tablet PC Products, Services and Mobile Computing Solutions ,fujitsu , hp , Panasonic ,kiosk computing

I'm still using my fujitsu st5011 (1GHz PM) from 2004.

Still looking for a tablet pc to replace it. Like the look and feel of the Asus except the weight and the battery life

one note is the killer app for windows tablet pc's, its the best microsoft has by far.

For an ipad for movies and things and datasheets.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    alxx wrote: »

Tablet PC Products, Services and Mobile Computing Solutions ,fujitsu , hp , Panasonic ,kiosk computing

Still looking for a tablet pc to replace it. Like the look and feel of the Asus except the weight and the battery life

one note is the killer app for windows tablet pc's, its the best microsoft has by far.

My Fuji KB just died on my T4210 from 2004. It's nice having a full OS on a tablet device like that. I have ended up using my Ipad 2 for a lot of the things I did on the Fuji (reading, browsing, etc.), these days. I actually think having something like a Fuji tablet with a full OS would compliment a tablet well. My next one might be the Axitron Modbook if I can't find a Fuji I like.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    Wow Android tablet optimized apps are very lacking compared to my iPad. At least phone apps scale well mostly for tablet.
  • IEWANNABEIEWANNABE Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm getting ready to purchase the Toshiba Thrive. I like the USB and HDMI capability, plus I just haven't had much luck with Apple products..they always end up disapointing me.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I'm typing this on my iPad2. That being said, I hate all apple products I have ever used save for 1, my iPod classic, although im not a fan of itunes for organization. I always like them at first but eventually find limitation upon limitation and go back to my windows 7 desktop or my Ubuntu notebook. If my job hadn't supplied me with this ipad2, I would be buying either the Asus Transformer Prime or the new Lenovo tablet with the Tegra 3, both coming out in te next month or so.

I got to play with an XP tablet a decade ago when they were rare and I really liked the functionality, even then. However, Android is currently THE answer for a tablet OS. Add I the new Tegra 3 and we really have a winner. Windows 8 may give Android a run for its money but we will have to wait another year or so to see that.

If you have the money and the time to wait, I would wait till January and see the reviews of the new Tegra 3 tablets. From what they are saying, it is quite a step up from anything on the market right now.

Oh, and another point. I have been spoiled by the built in 3G but now that I have been able to play with 4G, there is no going back. If 4G is not supported out of the box, I will be getting a Verizon mifi to carry around all the time. It's actually faster than my dsl at home. No joke. Average speed test of 7MB down, peak of 22MB.
    I have 4G on my Razr and I usually leave it off and just use 3G and for basic stuff like looking stuff up or Pandora. I really don't see much difference unless I am downloading a podcast. I know 4G is a battery killer with the current tech. 4G is "faster" but for what I do when I use 3G or 4G I just don't see the difference.

From what I read Windows 8 tablets will give Android some competition but I just am not seeing the app market even trying to make an effort in the tablet side for Android with the iPad pretty much dominating the tablet market. Phone side I am happy with though for Android.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate apple, i had bought two of their ipads, one for me and one for my wife. About a month ago i got a wild hair after reading a review about the asus transformer and i bought one, I was absolutely blown away by how bad andriod tablets are compared to the ipad. Seriously this is not a joke, the battery kife is terrible, slow loading, terrible app selection. I hate the fact that i have to actually say that the ipad is a great product.

After a week or so with the transformer, i gave up, the battery litterally dies on this thing over night even in sleep mode the battery drains.

Im not saying that all the andriod tablets are bad, im just going off my experience with the transformer, i just think the ipad is much more polished product.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
    ASUS Transformer is $250 today if you look on slickdeals, Engaget, spoofies, etc.

Or you can preorder the Transformer Prime which is the first tablet with Tegra 3. They both meet your requirements.

The Thrive is okay too.

Prime has definitely caught my eye. I may just wait. I’ll have to look at some more previews.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I picked up a Toshiba Thrive today, was going to sell my iPad 1 but now I am thinking of keeping it. Using my Android device for productivity and study. The Apple store has quite a few more well polished leisure apps especially children's apps that I did not find similar apps for or the Android version was clunky and not as supported as the Apple version. It's getting better just seems Apple has a bigger selection of games I enjoy so I am going to keep my ipad on the couch and let my son use it since he likes it a lot.

Would you mind touching a little bit more on why you don’t seem to like the Thrive. I mean I understand Apple apps will seem to function better as they don’t have to cover such a wide area of hardware. Was there other major reason other than some chunkiness, or is it much worse?
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Give it some time.

You did ask a question on a US holiday and a large number of the members here are in the US.

Plus, you were very specific you don't want MAC or any eReader handhelds, so a little patience and you'll see some more posting. However, if you browse the forum, you'll probably notice a good deal of the active members are fans of iPad, Kindles, Nooks, etc... so, you've completely excluded them from your discussion.

My apologies for being slightly surprised. I know my request was incredibly specific. Still expected a slew of posts.
    SteveLord wrote: »

Yes, too many in fact. I have found many to be missing info as well. Some really good, some not.
    True dat. Engaget, CNET, Consumer Reports, etc. Also, more technology focused message boards would probably be more appropriate.

Personally, I'm using a iPad 2. It does everything I need it to. I'm not the type who feels the need to tweak this or play with the underlying engine (which I guess who Apple targets this for). I had a HP Touchpad and played with a Nook Color for a week.

Not really looking to sign up on another board. I thought a lot of people here would have a lot of first hand experience. Using it for studying and all.
    As for the Pad, Ill pass. I dont really need to tweak the tab and what not, but the barriers put in place by Apple is just too ridiculous for me to consider another Apple product. Not to say it still isnt a nice product, just dont think I should have to use iTunes just to put in a PDF. Im not a fan of the Nook or Touchpad either. Those to me fall under eReaders.
    alxx wrote: »

Dont think so. At least not until they make it feel a little more like a tablet OS. May consider it during the Win8 release.
    IEWANNABE wrote: »
    I'm getting ready to purchase the Toshiba Thrive. I like the USB and HDMI capability, plus I just haven't had much luck with Apple products..they always end up disapointing me.

This is me as well. I like the options if I so ever need them.
    swild wrote: »
    I'm typing this on my iPad2. That being said, I hate all apple products I have ever used save for 1, my iPod classic, although im not a fan of itunes for organization. I always like them at first but eventually find limitation upon limitation and go back to my windows 7 desktop or my Ubuntu notebook. If my job hadn't supplied me with this ipad2, I would be buying either the Asus Transformer Prime or the new Lenovo tablet with the Tegra 3, both coming out in te next month or so.

I got to play with an XP tablet a decade ago when they were rare and I really liked the functionality, even then. However, Android is currently THE answer for a tablet OS. Add I the new Tegra 3 and we really have a winner. Windows 8 may give Android a run for its money but we will have to wait another year or so to see that.

If you have the money and the time to wait, I would wait till January and see the reviews of the new Tegra 3 tablets. From what they are saying, it is quite a step up from anything on the market right now.

Oh, and another point. I have been spoiled by the built in 3G but now that I have been able to play with 4G, there is no going back. If 4G is not supported out of the box, I will be getting a Verizon mifi to carry around all the time. It's actually faster than my dsl at home. No joke. Average speed test of 7MB down, peak of 22MB.

Yes, again, the Prime has my attention. 3G could be a seller. Havent looked into it much but I imagine it sure would be nice. Are we talking MB or Mb? MB woudl be some insane speeds!
    Blackout wrote: »
    I hate apple, i had bought two of their ipads, one for me and one for my wife. About a month ago i got a wild hair after reading a review about the asus transformer and i bought one, I was absolutely blown away by how bad andriod tablets are compared to the ipad. Seriously this is not a joke, the battery kife is terrible, slow loading, terrible app selection. I hate the fact that i have to actually say that the ipad is a great product.

After a week or so with the transformer, i gave up, the battery litterally dies on this thing over night even in sleep mode the battery drains.

Im not saying that all the andriod tablets are bad, im just going off my experience with the transformer, i just think the ipad is much more polished product.

Wow, sounds like some bad luck. Seen some pretty good reviews on the on the Transformer. Glad I came here
    Well I need to correct myself, my experience with the Thrive was based on the default 3.1 Android OS, Toshiba released 3.2 last month which from what I read greatly improved the Android Tablet experience. I noticed some sluggish behavior which is gone now and mobile apps would not scale right but 3.2 fixed that. I will add the Amazon marketplace when I get home and check that out.

My bigger draw to the Thrive was it was on sale but the full sized ports especially USB will allow me to use an external drive or thumb drive if needed and not have to rely on cloud storage as much as I did on the iPad.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Note that those with the mini-usb, you can just buy an adapter that costs a few bucks.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    Bought the thrive and loving it! Thanks for all the input everyone. I decided to go with the thrive due to the ports, the performance matches all the others in the same price range, replaceable battery etc. Been up all night playing with this thing. I know I could use adapters for the various devices but I really didn't want to carry them around. I really like how I can just grab any jumpdrive and mount it. Not to mention I have a ton of full size SD cards laying around. Again thanks for all the advice and recommendations.