Possible Typos? Todd Lammle CCENT Study Guide

ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
Wondering if the "correct" answer for this question is a typo or not. If you have the book the question is in Chapter 6 IP Routing, under Review Questions, Number 1.

Question:
Network 206.143.5.0 was assigned to the Acme Company to connect to its ISP. The administrator of Acme would like to configure one router with the commands to access the Internet. Which commands could be configured on the Gateway router to allow Internet access to the entire network? (Choose two.)

A. Gateway(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 206.143.5.2
B. Gateway(config)#router rip
C. Gateway(config-router)#network 206.143.5.0
D. Gateway(config)#router rip
E. Gateway(config-router)#network 206.143.5.0 default
F. Gateway(config)#ip route 206.143.5.0 255.255.255.0 default
G. Gateway(config)#ip default-network 206.143.5.0

Correct Answers:

A, E. There are actually three different ways to configure the same default route, but only two are shown in the answer. First, you can set a default route with the 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 mask and then specify the next hop, as in answer A. Or you can use the 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 and use the exit interface instead of the next hop. Finally, you can use answer E with the ip default-network command.

My thoughts, I understand why answer A is correct, but not why answer E is correct. I feel that it should be answer G instead of E. E says no where in the answer, ip default-network. Am I missing something here or is this a typo? I looked on the Sybex website for all the typo errors and only found one in the subnetting section.

Comments

• ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Ah, 18 views and no responses. I know I'm impatient but dang...:D
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It probably has to do with the fact that the ip default-network command is classful, and it's generally used with dynamic routing protocols. The question from your book doesn't mention anything about a dynamic routing protocol being used, so it's probably going with the best-practice for a static route.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote: »
    It probably has to do with the fact that the ip default-network command is classful, and it's generally used with dynamic routing protocols. The question from your book doesn't mention anything about a dynamic routing protocol being used, so it's probably going with the best-practice for a static route.

Hmm, Ok, but I'm still unsure why the answer claims that the command ip default-network is used?
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    It's a typo. I'm not even sure E is a valid command...I've never heard of network x.x.x.x default
    Slowhand wrote: »
    The question from your book doesn't mention anything about a dynamic routing protocol being used, so it's probably going with the best-practice for a static route.

Take a closer look at E...the command is being entered in (config-router), which means that there is a routing protocol in place.
    I just came across another question in which I believe has a TYPO. Chapter 7 - Layer 2 Switching. Review questions #9

Question:
    You need to configure a Catalyst switch so it can be managed remotely. Which of the following would you use to accomplish this task?

A. Switch(configs)#int fa0/1
    B. Switch(configs-if)#ip address 192.168.10.252 255.255.255.0
    C. Switch(configs-if)#no shut
    D. Switch(configs-if)#ip gateway 192.168.10.254 255.255.255.0
    E. Switch(configs)#ip default-gateway 192.168.10.254
    F. Switch(configs-if)#no shut
    G. Switch(configs)#ip default-network 192.168.10.254

Correct Answer:
    C. From global configuration mode (not interface mode), you set the default gateway with the ip default-gateway command, which allows you to manage the switch remotely.

I feel that this answer should be E. And, aren't answers B, C, D and F all in interface mode?
    pham0329 wrote: »
    It's a typo. I've never heard of network x.x.x.x default

Take a closer look at E...the command is being entered in (config-router), which means that there is a routing protocol in place.

Me either, but what do I know I'm just going for my ICND1. :P
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    pham0329 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I did actually miss that.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Any more thoughts on either of the questions posed here?
    Anyone else have this book?
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe some of the members on Todd Lammle's forum have an answer - Lammle Forum - Powered by vBulletin
  • headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the first question notice the two commands must be configured on the gateway router. This means you must first create a static default route with the next hop being the isp router. Then you must distribute this static default route to the other routers using "default-information originate." I believe in EIGRP you use a different command.
  • headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Router#show ip route
    Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
    D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
    N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
    E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP
    i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area
    * - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR
    P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is 192.168.1.1 to network 0.0.0.0

10.0.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 10.1.1.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/1
    C 192.168.1.0/24 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0
    R* 0.0.0.0/0 [120/1] via 192.168.1.1, 00:00:07, FastEthernet0/0

That's what it will look like on a networked router. It is known as a candidate default route.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    1. I agree with you, the choices look like typos.
    2. Even the correct answer in #2 is wrong.
    switch global config mode looks like this:
    switch(config)#
    not like this:
    switch(configs)#

If you're reading carefully enough to catch the errata, you're in good shape, I believe.

Also, as previously stated, Todd's forums are probably the best place for feedback on this type of question. He is here from time to time, but his forums are the best.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)