Frame-Relay PPP Subinterfaces Configuration

altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
Anyone have experience with Cisco Packet Tracer?

pic.png

I have the FR-S1 (frame-relay cloud) configured this way:
S0 - DLCI 17 - R8
S1 - DLCI 18 - R7
S2 - DLCI 19 - R10

However, I can only map Serial0 - Serial1, Serial0 - Serial2, or Serial1 - Serial2, I can't assign S0 - S1 and S0 - S2 at the same time
pic2.png

That being said, R8 cannot ping R7, and I don't know why. They're on the same subnet. They have static mapping. If I were to assign Serial0 - Serial1 on the Frame-Relay switch, those two can ping each other (after taking static mapping off). However, since I can't assign Serial0 to Serial1 and Serial2, I didn't assign any interfaces to any interfaces on the frame-relay switch (this is why I used static mapping).

I know this sounds confusing, but I'm not sure how to get this to work >_<. I've been going well with Frame-Relay on all the practice tests I've had and even while studying, but when it comes to configuring it in Packet Tracer, it gets weird.
CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
Cisco: CCENT, CCNA

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    You'll need to set this up as hub-and-spoke. PT is very limited. Create sub-interfaces on one of your routers, then you can set the mapping within the FR cloud.

S0.1 -> S1
    S0.2 -> S2

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/64251-configuring-frame-relay-packet-tracer.html
  • altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    Monkerz wrote: »
    You'll need to set this up as hub-and-spoke. PT is very limited. Create sub-interfaces on one of your routers, then you can set the mapping within the FR cloud.

S0.1 -> S1
    S0.2 -> S2

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/64251-configuring-frame-relay-packet-tracer.html

Thanks for that thread. With the Frame Relay swtich, there's no CLI, and there's no option to select subinterfaces. I see that one of the guys there too also said PT is very limited when it comes to Frame Relay... Blah >_< Is there another simulation software that works better than Packet Tracer that you know of?

Thanks for your help so far.
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    GNS3 is what I was using prior to purchasing lab gear.

And I meant to create sub-interfaces on your routers then select them in the cloud. I am on my phone at the moment, otherwise I would send you some screen caps.
    GNS3 is what I was using prior to purchasing lab gear.

And I meant to create sub-interfaces on your routers then select them in the cloud. I am on my phone at the moment, otherwise I would send you some screen caps.

yeah I'm mobile too. I was able to create the subinterfaces on the router, but there wasn't any way to select them on the frame relay switch. I can only specify the DLCI and name
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try this:

Wow, this explained everything. It seems as though I was missing the 2 PVCs between R8 and the frame relay switch. It looks like I was trying to use a multipoint interface. Got everything working. Thank you a BUNCH!
    Btw, how would you create a Frame Relay mesh network in Packet Tracer? Is that possible?
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    See post #6 above, Youtube has several tutorials dealing with Frame Relay in Packet Tracer.
    Also, if you downloaded the packet tracer activities from Cisco, there's a Frame Relay activity there.