About stanford advanced computer and security certificate

xopitoxopito Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just saw stanford offers a certificate online, which cover different topics, check the following link for more information:

Advanced Computer Security Certificate | Stanford University Online

What do you think guys, it is worth to take it?. I guess since its the department of engineering the one who issues the certificate, it would in some way guaranty the quality of the course.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You bets best is to Google for reviews of the cert's courses written by people who have taken them. Having the name "Stanford University" on it might give it a little more credibility on face value, but that doesn't indicate how good the courses are.
  • pennywaltzpennywaltz Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xopito wrote: »
    I just saw stanford offers a certificate online, which cover different topics, check the following link for more information:

Advanced Computer Security Certificate | Stanford University Online

What do you think guys, it is worth to take it?. I guess since its the department of engineering the one who issues the certificate, it would in some way guaranty the quality of the course.

Also hop on linkedin and do a search to see who is in the program or went through it. Of course Stanford is well known, but expensive!
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pennywaltz wrote: »
    Of course Stanford is well known, but expensive!
    If you DID visit the provided link, you'll notice that the tuition is "only" $495 per online course + 75$ one-time document fee.
    6 courses are required to get the certificate.

I think it's "cheap" because each online course is aproximately 6 - 8 hours.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    At the first glance looks very interesting, thanks for sharing.
    *tempted*...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • xopitoxopito Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I think this certificate will end up building my credibility, due to life I was forced to enter to a bad University, but through the year I have worked hard to get certificate such as Comptia Security+, MCSE and Red Hat Certificate Engineering. The course seems really nice and having a certificate from Stanford I am sure it will take me into a new level. Well thanks for the opinion guys
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    You bets best is to Google for reviews of the cert's courses written by people who have taken them. Having the name "Stanford University" on it might give it a little more credibility on face value, but that doesn't indicate how good the courses are.
    I researched online and interestingly there is nil information on the certificate (apart from a couple of press releases reprinted by several dozen web sites and mentioning in CV's/LinkedIn profiles)... Well, one article called "Resume Boosters", but that is it...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My only complaint would be that they equate each course with one CEU. I feel that should be dependent on how much time the course takes me tocomplete. I think ISC(2) and ISACA would only view one CEU as one CPE.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    colemic wrote: »
    I think ISC(2) and ISACA would only view one CEU as one CPE.
    1 CEU = 10 hours of classroom attendance in a continuing education program.
    1 CPE = 1 hour of attendance in a continuing professional education situation (as per (ISC)2 and ISACA). Often referred to as "CPE hours."

Therefore, 1 CEU should equal 10 CPEs, but I see nothing explicitly noted about this exchange on isc2.org or isaca.org.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    thanks for the link!

I am looking at this really hard. might be good thing to use the last of my gi bill on.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    JDMurray wrote: »
    1 CEU = 10 hours of classroom attendance in a continuing education program.
    1 CPE = 1 hour of attendance in a continuing professional education situation (as per (ISC)2 and ISACA). Often referred to as "CPE hours."

Therefore, 1 CEU should equal 10 CPEs, but I see nothing explicitly noted about this exchange on isc2.org or isaca.org.

I contacted ISC2 about this a few weeks ago. While is states on their website that you should contact the course publisher for information on number of recommended CPEs, you should use that as a guideline and report the number of hours you actually spent studying, in class and out of class, for the certification or exam. I said that I had spent 120 hours studying for the CISSP and asked if I spent the same amount of time studying for another certification if I could count that as 120 CPEs. She said that generally yes, but to use my best judgement.