Where to go from here?

DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Where does one go after Linux + certification? Which linux/unix based cert would be a good one to go into?

I tried googling RHCE, but didnt get a definite answer of what it consists of vs Solaris's certs. How many tests are required?
Thanks

Comments

• DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like you need RHC-301 and RHC-302 to be an RHCE?
    Yikes, I hope those arent the prices of the exam under the exam number.
    Thanks
    That LPI looks very interesting. I've never heard of it before. Does it hold much value?
  • DarklyWiseDarklyWise Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Danh:

Linux+ is entry level/beginner - the current version of Linux+ is going to be retired as it is getting outdated ( now 0 - 6 mos exp.) - the new Linux+ will require 6 - 12 mos exp. working in the Linux environment.

It's a good Cert - and CompTIA is widely recognized.

LPI - two exams for LPIC-1 ( www.lpi.org ) and are for advanced beginners (afaic).
    LPIC-2 ( Level 2 ) was named one of the 10 hottest Certs to have for 2005 ( http://www.certcities.com/editorial/features/story.asp?EditorialsID=86 ). It is for intermediate skill level admins.

They are working on LPIC-3 - no release date for it as of yet.

Linux+ would be a good starting point and, as I said above, it's a good entry-level Cert to have. Once Linux+ is completed move into LPIC-1 & LPIC-2.

RedHat is widely recognized however their prices are.. outrageous afaic...

What flavor of Linux? Well, vendor neutral - check out www.distrowatch.com and read for yourself :)

DWise
    A being Darkly Wise and Rudely Great
    thanks for the feedback
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You might also want to check out Novell and Sun for other certifications. The buzz from companies at tradeshows, (like Openworld, Linuxworld, RSA, etc. . .) is that Linux is a good start, but they're realistically looking to turn you into a Unix admin. I know that Sun has a good certification program, (not that I have the URL, but I'm sure if you check out their website, they'll be more than happy to take your money,) but Novell might be a better choice.

Novell recently got in bed with SUSe Linux to release OpenSUSe.org and an "enterprise" product. This is very much like Red Hat releasing Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise. But Novell has always been recognized as a major player in the network admin field. After all. . . they kinda laid the groundwork for what we all, now, know and love: directory services. Give both Sun and Novell a look.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.