Options

Is A+ even still relevant in the IT field.

mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
After 11 years of networking experience I have both Network + and Security +, I read that DHS makes A+ a requirement for a part of computer forensics. But how important is A+ in the Security/Networking field. Comptia likes to call A+,Net+,Sec+, the triad.....what do you guys think.

Comments

• Options
    IEWANNABEIEWANNABE Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say that it's nice info to know, even if it's not information that your work requires. I have Sec+ and I'm currently studying to take the CCNA exam in January, but I still want to get the Net+ as well.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMHO; it's one of those certs that any true IT person should have just because. Even the most basic IT job offerings will ask if you have an A+ cert.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    not with 10+ years of experience.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    drkat wrote: »
    not with 10+ years of experience.
    This.

A+ is great if you have no experience, good if you have less than two years of experience, okay if you have less than five years of experience, and pretty much worthless after that unless your career has stagnated. A junior server or network admin with an MCSA or MCITP:SA or a CCNA would generally be expected to have A+ level skills, but wouldn't need to prove it with the actual cert. I'm not saying you won't find some that don't, but I am saying they're pretty rare.

If you've made it well into your career without A+, I wouldn't bother.

Regarding Net+ and Security+, the same general principle applies, but with different scales. If you have your CCNA and are working on CCNP, Net+ isn't helpful. If you have MCSE or MCITP:EA and significant experience, Net+ isn't helpful.

If you have CISSP or significant security experience, Security+ isn't helpful.

I think all three certs are important to the industry, but I also think that the right combination of experience and certifications negates any need for them and implies their level of skill and knowledge.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    The knowledge gained with an A+ certification is absolutely relevant and I understand the DHS requirement. I've taught many advanced classes where students are missing basic knowledge that they would have gained while pursuing an A+ certification. These students do come into the class with some advanced knowledge, but sometimes they have gaping holes in their knowledge and they don't know what they don't know.

This probably doesn't apply to you, but here's a quick example but with your network+ you will probably appreciate it. A basic network troubleshooting step is to use ipconfig and ping to narrow down a networking problem. However, when I suggested to a student to launch the command prompt and use ipconfig to identify the system's IP address, I was asked how to launch the command prompt. Using the command prompt is basic knowledge gained with an A+ certification, but some jobs may never require someone to use it and they may simply think that the GUI is the best choice for everything.

One of the benefits of pursuing any certification is that it helps guide your studies to ensure you cover all the required elements that you may miss otherwise. Many people work many years on an IT job and are exposed to a wide assortment of problems and scenarios and they end up learning all of this information during the process. Others work many years on an IT job but job requirements keep them focused on a narrow element of IT.

All that said, it really doesn't matter what you or I think to DHS. If you want to pursue a job with them, and they state that an A+ certification is required, you have a much better chance at getting a job with them if you have the certification.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I would say it's not relevant, and it's not what an employee would look for on a CV.

but it may be different in other parts of the world.
  • Options
    drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whether or not the A+ is relevant to the job you seek is based on the particular requirements of the position. However, the A+ certification is useful to have even if you have 10+ years of experience.

If you work for or plan to work for the United States DoD as a government employee or as a contractor for any enterprise involved in DoD activities, you will be required to have or obtain the A+ or specific higher level certification. This is the DoD 8570 requirement.

More information can be found:
    http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf&sa=U&ei=mZLTTsqkA4r40gHj_8SLCg&ved=0CBEQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNE5cgrNRPG1lUUkEmJrSsxfk0oiFw
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    The A+ still has its role. It's nearly critical for entry-level work and lower-level IT jobs, and handy to have if you're going to remain in support roles. There are also some other certs that benefit from or are highly dependent on the A+ foundation-- for example, HP has some repair certs that draw heavily on A+ background. If you take the CIW exams, you will find some of the A+ information useful.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Depends on what career path you want in my opinion. I am thinking for most people on this forum it's still relavent, however I think that is becoming less and less.

Personally if I was in your situation I would focus on the CCNA if you wanted to get into networking or some Microsoft certifications geared towards your career path.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are a lot of good points in this thread. Still, I am not convinced that an A+ is still relevant to someone with ten years of legitimate IT experience. Yes, it is still important for entry-level professionals. But, it is not likely an experienced MCSA/MCSE/MCITP:SA/MCITP:EA is going to have somehow missed any of the basic A+ level knowledge. A+ also has a bad habit of testing on out of date knowledge, though I haven't looked at the latest version.

Yes, some organizations, government or otherwise, may have arbitrary requirements for A+. Outside of that, very few high-level IT positions require or even consider an A+. You don't hire a systems, network, or security engineer to troubleshoot PC hardware, and they almost certainly know how to regardless of whether they have A+.

I'm a big believer in the value of the CompTIA entry-level certs, but there are good reasons that experienced professionals don't go back and get them and that the UK and Australia don't value them.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys thanks for the feedback it was all very good, I was going to pursue the A+ just to say i have it but, I will focus on the SSCP instead...cheers
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mrvl13 wrote: »
    Hey guys thanks for the feedback it was all very good, I was going to pursue the A+ just to say i have it but, I will focus on the SSCP instead...cheers

Wise decision IMO
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    When I used to hire entry-level folks, I always appreciated seeing some type of credential. A+, an Associate's, Net+, whatever... that showed me that they were willing to take a step to learn something new or at least to jump through some hoops. To me, A+ is more about the effort to study and take the exam than it is the specific information.