Options

Computers with slow-down

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a few office computers that are running fairly slow, slower than normal. I took a look at them today(I don't work there) and ran updated copies of Anti-virus, ad-aware and spybot software on the systems, while also cleaning junk out of the startup menu.

Any other tips on improving computer performance? Though I've worked with computers for quite some time, I've never had a reason to mess with page-files. Defrag is another good idea, but it takes too long and should usually only be done at night. Is there something that does the job faster, perhaps?

:edit:
Oh, and here are some basic specs:

Windows ME
300 MHz processor
64MB RAM

Windows XP
300 MHz processor
300MB RAM

While the computers could probably be upgraded, I don't think it's in the companies budget.

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Is there something that does the job faster, perhaps?

:edit:
    Oh, and here are some basic specs:

Windows ME
    300 MHz processor
    64MB RAM

Windows XP
    300 MHz processor
    300MB RAM

While the computers could probably be upgraded, I don't think it's in the companies budget.

KG

To be honest, the processors suck. XP is going to have a heart attack chugging with only 300Mhz. I know these computers might meet the requirments by MS but also consider the bus speed, the ram speed, hard drive speed, nic speed. I wouldn't put any money into them. Just keep cleaning them up like you are. They need new pcs.
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    time to go shopping!
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    the only way to speed them up is to trash them and get new puters....
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    word .....

unplug them .... dr kavorkian
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I'm assuming that those are Pentium 3 CPUs because XP won't run on a P2. 300MHz? Yikes! I'm guessing vintage 1997-98.

The reasonable minimum for XP is a P4-2.0GHz machine with 256MB RAM. A P4-2.8GHz H/T with 512MB is more reasonable.

Speaking of defragging page files, I use and love the PageDefrag at sysinternals.com (http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/pagedefrag.html). On boot-up it defrags your system's page file(s), registry hives, and event logs. It only takes a few seconds to run if your files are fairly contiguous. I had a couple of machines where the SOFTWARE hive was severely fragged (2500-2800 fragments), and it took nearly fifteen seconds to defrag them.