Next exam suggestion

jblystonejblystone Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently I have an AAS in Network Systems Admin with certs of A+, N+, and Security +. I am waiting on my bootcamp for MCITP Server Administrator to start. I have about 2 months. Anyone have any suggestions for me of something I could easily knock out and might also help my knowledge base for MCITP SA?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard. Tell us about your background and experience to see what fits.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you have an interest in networking, specifically Cisco, you should be able to kill ICND1 in 2 months. If you have a lot of time you could even shoot for the full CCNA. Otherwise, I would suggest getting a head start on either 70-640 or 70-642.
  • jblystonejblystone Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How about the MCTS Windows 7 cert? Not really clear on its importance of having though.

I know the basis of Cisco and command line stuff and basic routing protocols with RIP and OSPF but that stuff kinda confuses me a little too much. To me microsoft feels a lot easier to retain the info.
  • jblystonejblystone Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I am gonna do Server+ because its highly relative towards the N+ and Security+ and would be in a better prep direction for the boot camp
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Server+ really won't add any value either to your studies or to your resume. Okay, maybe it will add some value, but really not a lot. It won't be the make or break on getting a job or interview, and you might as well just start studying for the MS tests if that's what you want to improve on.

The 70-680 cert is required for the MCITP:SA and EA tracks anyway, and it has more standalone value.

Whether you go the Microsoft route or the Cisco route (or a hybrid of the two) should be depending on what you want to do with your career. Unless configuring switches and routers is something you want to be doing a lot, CCNA or higher won't help you. CCENT is honestly worth getting just so you have the general knowledge and can work with them once in a while, but really, if you have Net+ you should be fine.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340