Graduate Application Completed!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I finished my graduate application tonight! Going for an MS in Information Systems, though I am not 100% on what elective courses I will take. The college offers a number of security courses, but I think I am leaning towards knowledge management/data mining. I figure I will complete the core courses (should be a bear within itself) and then see where I am at after that. There is also the option to get an MS in Library and Information Science (dual masters), the college offers a specialization in Competitive Intelligence that one of my professors has said could be very fruitful and interesting at the very least (that is what his Masters is in). I'll keep the thread updated with whether or not I get accepted....
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    Congrats! I have my Masters in IS. It was long, tiring, and expensive, but I don't know if it has paid off yet. LOL
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL, always good to hear others experiences (positive or negative). My only advantage is my Masters is free since I will be working for the school, but I suspect to be in for a rude awakening when I see the work I have to put in. Since I really probably can't start until June (maybe April, but there could be an issue) I plan on getting into school mode in January to prepare ahead of time.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    That's what got me started on my education. My wife worked for the university, so I got everything for 80% off... unfortunately, that only lasted for a year or so... then they hit me with the REALLY expensive tuition rates. LOL I was forced to get my Master's due to buying a house and having to have my student loans in deferment.... it hasn't helped me yet, but I haven't really had a chance to put it to work. ;)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am scared to take on that much debt @ X interest rate. I've flipped flopped with the idea for quite sometime. I still may take the GMAT and see where I test out at. If that is good enough to get me into a top 25 program I may consider it, but that is still highly unlikely, unless my employer requires it and or pays. I have 2800 left on my student loans, I am almost free!
    N2IT wrote: »
    I am scared to take on that much debt @ X interest rate. I've flipped flopped with the idea for quite sometime. I still may take the GMAT and see where I test out at. If that is good enough to get me into a top 25 program I may consider it, but that is still highly unlikely, unless my employer requires it and or pays. I have 2800 left on my student loans, I am almost free!

$2800? Lucky man! Congrats! I can understand not wanting to go into more debt, especially if you are where you want to be career wise. No GRE's/GMAT's for me since my GPA was high enough to by pass that requirement. Now if I try to go for the PhD, I'll have to take them in order to get in. Free education at what in 2009 was the #3 school for MSIS in the US isn't too shabby and can't be passed up...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Hey, congrads on going for your Masters. It appears you have some good experience along with some certs, and if you can get more of that in grad school, along with your degree, you'll come out ahead.

Although plan on working alot. I used to take vacation days to do homework.

And like others in this thread, my Masters hasn't helped me at all at this phase in my career. I got oversold on it, however I consider myself fortunate because I lived below my means and was able to pay for mine out-of-pocket and come out of it with no student loans. So I don't have the threat of student debt crushing my skull.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    Very interesting to see so many reports of a Masters not helping people out. I'd probably be more unsettled by that if I was paying for it out of pocket, but it is definitely concerning. Is it that the Masters implies a management position and that wasn't where you guys wanted to go? I was hoping that the Masters coupled with (given the time it would take me to complete it) 5 or 6 years of experience would open some more doors, seems that might not be the case....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    $2800? Lucky man! Congrats! I can understand not wanting to go into more debt, especially if you are where you want to be career wise. No GRE's/GMAT's for me since my GPA was high enough to by pass that requirement. Now if I try to go for the PhD, I'll have to take them in order to get in. Free education at what in 2009 was the #3 school for MSIS in the US isn't too shabby and can't be passed up...

Wow yeah you don't want to pass up an opportunity like that. I wish you the best on that for sure.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I second N2IT. If you can get a MS for free, go for it. It can't hurt your chances.

From all the job listings I have been looking at, most places don't ask for a master's unless it's management. I've seen a few level 4 positions and then there are the bat-shiat crazy HR managers that ask for a PhD and CCIE for an entry level postion, but you don't want to work there anyways. anyways, rambling, i need coffee.
  • UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    What school did you apply at? I am currently in the MS MIS program at Univ. of AZ. I have a GA position so it covers almost all of my tuition. First semester has been pretty time consuming and I hear next semesters are harder haha. People I work with/go to school with that are graduating are getting very high offers with consultant roles. What are your future goals?
    What school did you apply at? I am currently in the MS MIS program at Univ. of AZ. I have a GA position so it covers almost all of my tuition. First semester has been pretty time consuming and I hear next semesters are harder haha. People I work with/go to school with that are graduating are getting very high offers with consultant roles. What are your future goals?

Applying to Drexel University (that's where I completed my undergrad and where I just got hired). I think my ultimate goal would be to start my own business. Having worked for small businesses since I've graduated, I've found myself thinking "why aren't I just doing this myself?" Spend enough time making money for other people and on their terms it starts to wear on you. As far as my goals for what to study, I have three basic ideas:

1. Focus on knowledge management, data mining, information retrieval/analysis
    2. Focus on security (which was the focus of my undergraduate studies)
    3. Combine the above two options, working on some form of security automation based off of information/event analysis

I am also considering the option of graduating with two Masters: Information Systems along with Library and Information Science (with a focus on Competitive Intelligence). I think the combination of those two degrees could lead to some interesting future business endeavors as well as present an excellent background for PhD studies/research. But, you have to complete a certain number of credits in either degree before you can apply for the dual Masters program. Plenty of time to consider my options and to figure out which way I want to lean. I figure I don't need to have a focus/apply for the dual degrees until I complete my first years worth of studies, since that would be the point at which I've completed the core requirements for IS. Thanks for the information!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    That sounds like a good plan to try to start your own business.
    Drexel has a good program from what I have heard.

I am also doing concentrations in Business Intelligence and Information Security. Not sure which I will end up going into, but hopefully a combination also. I am currently a DBA/developer so BI is more likely my route.

If it is basically free, its hard to pass up. The only main opportunity cost will be the decreased hours you may work, unless u are planning to do full time. It is a lot of work, but hopefully worth it in the end.
    Drexel has solved that issue for me since they will only allow me to take 6 credits a term for free. So I will be a part time student, but since we are on a quarter system I can go all year long.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations. Free is always good, and who knows, maybe you will get the opportunity to teach in the future. I know that security is of interest to you, and a Master degree will certainly set you apart.