Options

CPEs come full certification

guessswh0guessswh0 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I have a question. I am currently an associate CISSP. I should be receiving my full certification around April/May of 2012. I already have the 20 CPEs required for my Associate status.

The thing is, I would to study for another certification (the OSCP). If I pass it, I would be able to get 40 CPE credits. However, this leads me to a question. Since I will be over the 20 required for my Associate status, do any CPE "points" I have over the 20 requirement get carried over and applied to the 40 minimum once I achieve full certification?

It would be very helpful to know.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    That is a great question. To be honest with you, I am not sure whether someone on this board will be able to answer it for you or not, but I sure hope they do. Your best bet would be emailing ISC2 directly, at least that is what I would do.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • Options
    guessswh0guessswh0 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well,

I actually just did that (it looks like while you were posting). I just called ISC2, and got them to answer the question.

Unfortunately, it wasn't what I wanted to hear. It looks like anything I get above my 20 CPEs, I'm going to lose once I get my full CISSP certification.

Almost seems a little counter productive since it's going to make me wait to get a new certification. Oh well, at least now I know for sure. So I'll be waiting to do the studying until then.

Thanks for the response, hope this helps anyone else with the same question.

Cliffs Notes - If you go over the 20 CPEs before your full CISSP certification, you lose those extra CPEs.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I was too slow.
  • Options
    ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    Excellent, thanks for sharing ISC2's feedback with us. The road to the OSCP certification is a very long one, so you can start now with about (30) days of lab access, then take a break and go over the PDF/Videos, extend your lab time until you are confident in your abilities, and then book the exam. Every time lab time is extended it also extends your certification. So, keep in mind you have about 3-4 months to take the exam after your lab access has ended...so you might be a full CISSP by then.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Activities you perform only earn applicable CPEs after you have achieved the certification. Cert vendors typically don't let their cert holders to backdate learning events to acquire CPEs. When they do, it's called "grandfathering" or something similar.