Options

Lab Question

advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
So, my wife and I were discussing about saving on room in regards to my toys. I'm curiuos if anyone else stores their lab within a closet and just telnets to the access server to do their work or does anyone have any space saving ideas for this other than that?

Any positives or negatives to doing it through telnet to the AS?

Currently have, 2x1760's, 1x2611, 1x2651XM, 1x2621XM, 3x3550, 1x3560, and the 2511 AS.

Just curious in this, if I could get out ahead of it and see any problems before I get there.

Appreciate the feedback.
Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a Lantronix SCS1620 that I use to telnet to all my equipment. Though, you have to custom make some cables in order to do this. Very handy if you want to lab and be on the couch at the same time :)
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I guess I'm more curious in why you couldn't just setup telnet on the AS and give it an IP of whatever private address you're using and telnet into it on your own network. As long as you are within the same private network, everything should be gravy, yes? Unless I'm missing something.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    advanex1 wrote: »
    So, my wife and I were discussing about saving on room in regards to my toys. I'm curiuos if anyone else stores their lab within a closet and just telnets to the access server to do their work or does anyone have any space saving ideas for this other than that?

Any positives or negatives to doing it through telnet to the AS?

Currently have, 2x1760's, 1x2611, 1x2651XM, 1x2621XM, 3x3550, 1x3560, and the 2511 AS.

Just curious in this, if I could get out ahead of it and see any problems before I get there.

Appreciate the feedback.

I console to the AS (my equipment is stationary, but not on a rack, as much as it is on an improvised metal shelving unit), but you could telnet to the AS, and then go from there.

Or, per the 5 tab post in the CCIE forum, you could telnet to the AS <port number> and hit the devices.

I was wondering about "airflow" since you said it was in a closet, though.

Are you making sure to have "remote power" so you can turn your "toys" off when you're not using them?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to keep my rack in the garage but since down sizing it I keep it in a corner out of the way.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    I console to the AS (my equipment is stationary, but not on a rack, as much as it is on an improvised metal shelving unit), but you could telnet to the AS, and then go from there.

Or, per the 5 tab post in the CCIE forum, you could telnet to the AS <port number> and hit the devices.

I was wondering about "airflow" since you said it was in a closet, though.

Are you making sure to have "remote power" so you can turn your "toys" off when you're not using them?

I will have them running to power strips in the front portion of the closet if I decide to go that route for easy access to shut them down. Air flow is a thing to think about in terms of how I would facilitate it. As long as all of my things are mounted with the WIC's/Modules facing towards the door I shouldn't have cabling issues..

As long as I can access them remotely it would work out, I'll start troubleshooting the airflow issue now.

Thanks for the feedback guys.