Changing Job after one month

nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello guys,
I am in a fix. I started a job on 10/31, during my interview, i was told that i will be doing all networking related stuffs. anytime we have a network issue-mainly switching- i am not allowed to do it instead a guy who is not as knowledgable as i am in switching(he only knows how to shut and unshut interfaces) is always the one who wants to be doing it but i was told during my interview that i'll be the one who will handle it. He refused to grant me access to these devices and i'm discouraged now because i'm not allowed to do what i know and love.
I just got another offer for a cisco network admin elsewhere with a higher pay plus less commute to work but i have not accepted yet because i intend to discuss the issue with the project manager before i actually tender my resignation. If i eventually resign, will prospective employers think i am job hopping?
JNCIE | CCIE | GCED

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    nethacker wrote: »
    Hello guys,
    I am in a fix. I started a job on 10/31, during my interview, i was told that i will be doing all networking related stuffs. anytime we have a network issue-mainly switching- i am not allowed to do it instead a guy who is not as knowledgable as i am in switching(he only knows how to shut and unshut interfaces) is always the one who wants to be doing it but i was told during my interview that i'll be the one who will handle it. He refused to grant me access to these devices and i'm discouraged now because i'm not allowed to do what i know and love.
    I just got another offer for a cisco network admin elsewhere with a higher pay plus less commute to work but i have not accepted yet because i intend to discuss the issue with the project manager before i actually tender my resignation. If i eventually resign, will prospective employers think i am job hopping?

Yes they would think you're job hopping. Of course, if you stay at the next place for a while, that blows that away., and the momentary job just looks like a mistake. If your project manager can fix the current situation, then great. If not, then it may be best to move on. What is someone with your credentials doing, if you're not taking after the network infrastructure?

You might want to confirm your job responsibilities at your next job, before making a move :D

Of course, I'll be honest with you: If I get a better job, doing what I love, closer to home, I'd take it. Of course for me, it is difficult to get a better job AND closer commute at the same time.

Anyway, I need to be commuting to the library, must have said that a half hour ago...
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Too many different things going on here. First of all, who is this guy? Does he have the same position as you? Is he always grabbing ticket/problems or are they being assigned to him? First of all I would ask him if he wouldn't mind me handle a few things. If you have comments, problems, difference or opinion or whatever you should be running it by your manager. It will be up to him to dictate the course of action. Maybe he prefers the other guy handles things because you are new. Who know what he's thinking. Only way would be to bring it to his attention.

In regards to leaving after one month, as long as it is not a habit, it should be no issue. If your previous jobs have been for longer periods of time it will be evident that something didn't work out at this place and you decided to move on. As long as you can professionally and intelligently articulate why you decided to move on so early, it's fair game. Now, if you have a bunch or 3 or 6 month gigs, you might as well wear a "Job Hopper" t-shirt to the next interview.

Then there's the other offer. That just complicates the scenario. No matter what the outcome is form the Mr. Shut/NoShut more likely than not it sounds like you will seriously entertain the offer. And I don't blame you, I would do the same if the opportunity showed up. Still, I would try to resolve the issue at your current gig. I would hate to move on not knowing what the heck the guy/manager were thinking. Don't forget it is all business. If something doesn't work for you, don't feel guilty about moving on. Just do your part and be professional about it. If they take it the wrong way, at least you know you did everything by the book.
  • nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Too many different things going on here. First of all, who is this guy? Does he have the same position as you? Is he always grabbing ticket/problems or are they being assigned to him? First of all I would ask him if he wouldn't mind me handle a few things. If you have comments, problems, difference or opinion or whatever you should be running it by your manager. It will be up to him to dictate the course of action. Maybe he prefers the other guy handles things because you are new. Who know what he's thinking. Only way would be to bring it to his attention.

In regards to leaving after one month, as long as it is not a habit, it should be no issue. If your previous jobs have been for longer periods of time it will be evident that something didn't work out at this place and you decided to move on. As long as you can professionally and intelligently articulate why you decided to move on so early, it's fair game. Now, if you have a bunch or 3 or 6 month gigs, you might as well wear a "Job Hopper" t-shirt to the next interview.

Then there's the other offer. That just complicates the scenario. No matter what the outcome is form the Mr. Shut/NoShut more likely than not it sounds like you will seriously entertain the offer. And I don't blame you, I would do the same if the opportunity showed up. Still, I would try to resolve the issue at your current gig. I would hate to move on not knowing what the heck the guy/manager were thinking. Don't forget it is all business. If something doesn't work for you, don't feel guilty about moving on. Just do your part and be professional about it. If they take it the wrong way, at least you know you did everything by the book.

The problem is that he is a linux guy who is just learning cisco in my opinion or who must have learnt one or two things by reviewing existing network documentation. He has the passwords to the entire switches that we manage plus my subnet is not permitted to ssh via the vty lines into the switch for administration/troubleshooting purposes.i spent 3years 6months at my last job as a network support tech before i got this. I would bring it to the attention of the program manager and see what she will say about it.
    Yes i would say i welcomed the offer because the job description aligns with what can prepare me for CCIP/CCIE plus the pay is higher and less commute.my current job commute is 95miles round trip with less pay while this new one is 20miles round trip with better pay. I want to grow beyond shutting and unshutting 6509 ports.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd move on and never even list this job on my resume.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are you allowed to do?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    Quoting this. It's not job hopping if it's not on your resume :)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    echo465 wrote: »

So true.
    What are you allowed to do?
    on paper, i should be the data center tech responding to data center networking infrastructure related incidents and troubleshoot but in reality, i have not seen that.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    I would get another job. This field is about not knowing everything. Its a team effort and he will fail without help. It happens to everyone if they become selfish.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I would agree with the others. Take the other job if it's a better fit, and don't list this one on your resume.

If you do decide to list it on your resume, if you're asked about it in an interview, tell the truth - You realized that after a month, the job was not a good fit for you, so you decided to move on so that the company could hire someone who was right for the position.

I've found that most interviewers (including myself) appreciate candid honesty.
  • KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    see what she will say about it.

There is the issue icon_lol.gif
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    echo465 wrote: »

Unless you get jobs requiring background investigations which in IT might become more common than not.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Unless you get jobs requiring background investigations which in IT might become more common than not.
    Yea that's another thing about IT.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This.

Your job history will show x date to October 2011 for Job A, November 2011 or December 2011 to present for Job B. A month gap is your waste case and that is not a problem. I have a month gap in mine and it has never come up and I don't anticipate any issues with it.

I mean, seriously... You have your CCNP and your only allowed to turn ports on and off? I don't have my CCENT and I'm comfortable doing a lot more than that. You have your ****ing CCNP. Get out of there.

If I started a systems administration job and was told I couldn't touch Active Directory by a Cisco guy, I would be gone within a week, if not on the spot.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look. You are saving 75 miles a day in gas, 3 to 4 gallons for most cars and drivers. You are getting better pay. The new job can NOT be worse than this one unless they have you imaging workstations. This really is a no brainer and no intelligent HR rep or hiring manager can fault you for that.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    ptilsen wrote: »
    This.

Your job history will show x date to October 2011 for Job A, November 2011 or December 2011 to present for Job B. A month gap is your waste case and that is not a problem. I have a month gap in mine and it has never come up and I don't anticipate any issues with it.

I mean, seriously... You have your CCNP and your only allowed to turn ports on and off? I don't have my CCENT and I'm comfortable doing a lot more than that. You have your ****ing CCNP. Get out of there.

If I started a systems administration job and was told I couldn't touch Active Directory by a Cisco guy, I would be gone within a week, if not on the spot.

1. I agree with this statement somewhat. Why hire me if I am not going to do what you hired me for?
    2. Warning: Don't lump us all together :D. Some of us Cisco guys have been around the block and can remember the day when you literally had a PDC box, it wasn't an "emulated" role that was grandfathered into AD. I worked at a past job where I had to make sure the customer's router interfaced properly with the ISP, make sure the customer's PIX connected properly on their VPN's, make sure their workstations connected to their database, and all the clients had email. Oh yeah, maintained their mail server too, and their AD. And their backups. And their wireless. And their PDAs. And their antivirus. And their fax. And their scanning. I mean to say, it was medical clinics, so we'd sell them a practice management app, and salespeople then somehow convince them to handover their entire IT infrastructure to us. That job title: Network Engineer.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree with most of the posters here. Leave and take the better job. Don't wait around, accept the offer now, before they give it to someone else. I don't see the point in waiting to talk to someone at the current company about it before hand. That might upset your situation there even more. Wait until you have accepted the offer.

I would almost never say this, but I *might* not even give a notice, or at least not the two weeks. You're probably not going to be listing this place on your resume, and no one here is a person you would ever use for a reference. Whenever the new company wants you to start, start then, and then let your current management know, and tell them it's because your co-worker is a total a**hole and is not allowing you to do your job.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    See ya

Let us know how awesome your job is in one month. I am being serious.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    N2IT wrote: »
    See ya

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the implication I'm getting here is that he works for you, or your company?
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□

I have to agree with another post here. A lot of Cisco people worked their way into the role starting in desktop roles, moving to systems roles, and then to network roles. I'm still confident I know more about Active Directory than our Microsoft people do. Keep in mind, Active Directory has been around since Windows 2000. That gives veterans 10 solid years of experience with it, more than any newcomer has. Now, all that aside, I have to agree with you. You are the systems guy so it is your job to touch Active Directory. The Cisco guy might know some stuff but he shouldn't be telling you not to touch it, that's for sure.
    See ya

how do you mean? i don't understand
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
    how do you mean? i don't understand

Wise move to take the new gig.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the implication I'm getting here is that he works for you, or your company?

Wow ... could you imagine? The odd predicament of going to work tomorrow.

In all seriousness ... if you're unhappy in your job and not doing what you want then it's best to move on (professionally of course). At the end of the day it's just business.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Okay Cisco guys, I didn't mean to stereotype. :D I know there are some of you with tons of systems experience, knowledge, and skills. I was making the point that someone who is clearly qualified for a position should be allowed to do it.

Nethacker, I think N2IT is just indicating that you made the right choice, and that you should post back in a month or so about how you like the new job.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    Okay Cisco guys, I didn't mean to stereotype. :D I know there are some of you with tons of systems experience, knowledge, and skills. I was making the point that someone who is clearly qualified for a position should be allowed to do it.

Nethacker, I think N2IT is just indicating that you made the right choice, and that you should post back in a month or so about how you like the new job.

Exactly
  • ubermichubermich Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Exactly

But it sure would be more entertaining if N2IT was the linux guy not letting nethacker work on the switches...

The only thing better than sarcasm missed: sarcasm found where it didn't exist. :D

In all seriousness though. For argument's sake, let's say the new employer really is all-that-and-then-some. If they will hire you with your one month job hop, but you stay there for the next 10 years, did it matter? Obviously the new company knows about the hop. But if they're amazing and you don't want to leave, then it doesn't make any difference whether you had a past or not.
    ubermich wrote: »
    But it sure would be more entertaining if N2IT was the linux guy not letting nethacker work on the switches...

The only thing better than sarcasm missed: sarcasm found where it didn't exist. :D

In all seriousness though. For argument's sake, let's say the new employer really is all-that-and-then-some. If they will hire you with your one month job hop, but you stay there for the next 10 years, did it matter? Obviously the new company knows about the hop. But if they're amazing and you don't want to leave, then it doesn't make any difference whether you had a past or not.
    +1.
    Thanks guys:D
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□

This. No reason to list it, and I only list the Month/Year of my jobs on my resume and no day. No one will even know!
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I hopped after 2 months, but i've been at this one 9 months with no plans of leaving anytime soon. A hop every now and then, it's not going to be an issue for most employers. They do understand sometimes things don't work out and it's for the best of all parties involved to part company. Hopefully you take the new job and it works out amazingly for you like mine did.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□

^^^^
    THIS!!!

why is this even a question in your mind? ya'll got to stop thinkin too hard on some of these things, just give them the deuces, and move on to the job thats going to let you do what you're position was intended to do, and at higher pay.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)