70-685 or 70-686 Which one is harder?

PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
Hello Everyone,

I currently have passed 70-680 and i'm looking for either 70-685 or 686. I want to know which one from your own opinion would be a quicker option. I want to go foricon_cheers.gif CCENTicon_cheers.gif after this Microsoft exam. :)icon_study.gif

Thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wrong question. The correct question is, which helps you obtain and validate the skills you want to use in your day-to-day and/or to get your next raise, promotion, or job?

The exam material is very well aligned with actual job roles. The 685 material looks to be a lot less useful and valuable than the 686 unless you are in a DST position or going for one. The 686 actually seems like a nice compliment to MCIPT:SA or MCITP:EA. The 685 also looks a lot easier. As someone working on 70-643 (followed by 647), I look at 686 and see a test I'd have to sink a good ten or twenty hours into studying. I look at 685 and see < five hours for an easy pass and no real added skills or value. I see some value in 686, but there's not much that isn't going to be redundant with 647 and 643.

Maybe someone who has taken either can chime in and provide more input. I'm just basing this off of the objectives and intent of the certifications. I should say that I haven't see either as highly sought-after by employers or professionals. Systems/server administrators/engineers want MCITP:SA or EA, and so do employers. DST should be a relatively brief career stepping stone, hardly worth of its own cert. Still, if you are looking to move into a DST role, 685 might be an easy add-on that gets you to that position or promotion.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As a quick follow-up, I searched Dice for jobs with both. Desktop Administrator/Engineer positions and contracts are actually common. Come to think of it, I've had recruiters call me on those. It is a legitimately different job that server administration, though the crossover is such that you won't find many individuals focused in one and unskilled in the other. Anyway, it seems to have a solid niche of its own on the job market.

I only found a couple jobs mentioning MCITP:EDST. The same job is on Monster. It's just not sought-after. That doesn't mean it has no value, and in fact it could be a big difference in the competition for a DST or helpdesk role. I know I would hire any level 1 field engineer on that cert. But, it's not a logical stop if you're already in DST or trying to get into something else.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PCSPreston wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

I currently have passed 70-680 and i'm looking for either 70-685 or 686. I want to know which one from your own opinion would be a quicker option. I want to go foricon_cheers.gif CCENTicon_cheers.gif after this Microsoft exam. :)icon_study.gif

Thanks for the feedback.

The 685 will probably be easier than the 686. That said, ptilsen makes a good point about the job roles and what you are currently doing. If you were doing desktop support and got the 685, the next logical step would be the 686 for the enterprise desktop administrator.

The EDA would be a nice complement to the SA/EA. The material overlaps and would round out the education. I am planning on the 686 after I finish up my degree
  • PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    I believe I'am going to take the 685. That fits with my current postion at the IT company i work for. I just need more resources for this exam. Compared to the 680. 685 is few and far in between. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try Darril Gibson's 685/686 book. The official MS press book is good, too. Between those 2, you should be alright.
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know that this is a old thread, but it fits what I am about to ask. I know that Windows 8 is out and most Businesses are looking to either upgrade or stay with Windows 7 right now. But I am looking a few years out, and wondering what the best move for the next few year is. I have my Windows 7 MCTS and have been really busy with school. But I am maybe a few weeks from being done and was looking at MCSA for windows 7. Is it to late to go with this cert, or is it worth it so I don't have to take two exams vs one to retain my MCSA? I don't want to spend 4 to 5 months on MCSA and then wish I would have taken that time and did my CCENT. I am more interested in my CCENT then MCSA. But time is a factor with the MCSA. Any opinion on this would be greatly appropriated.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
    You know sometimes you have to hear the answer from someone else. I do work in the world Consulting and deal with PC deployments a lot. I was thinking with the MCSA that it would be a good additive to have in my arsenal. But I have been looking at CCENT and CCNA for a few years thinking that is the direction I want to go. I have a mixed bag when it comes to job experience, I don't work in a Tiered world, so getting a clear path is kind of hard right now. I just wondered if I don't pickup my MCSA here soon that my MCTS will go away in the next few years, and I will have to take two Micor$oft tests to move forward with it? It's the old keeping up with Certs before they expire game.

Thanks for the input
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hear there is a lot of overlap on the Windows 8 exams, so if you go the Cisco route and don't like or come back to Microsoft and the Windows 7 exams are gone then passing Windows 8 should be somewhat easier with you having passed 70-680 before. Good Luck with the studies!
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Something to think about. The new MCSA and MCSE beginning 1.1.14 will expire within three years. The effect this will have on the industry is debatable. In my case I do not like certificates that expire, so I will be working on completion of the MCSA this year.
    @daviddws,

I agree on certs that expire, but I think the MCSA and MCSE will expire for the software that it's tied to. So if you get your MCSA or MCSE in Windows 7, when windows 7 is retired so is your cert. I have bad taste in my mouth after struggling with my MCTS two years ago, and rather not spend 6 to 7 months trying to learn something I don't really want to put 6 to 7 months in right now. I have more drive right now to get my CCENT, then look at how I fell about moving on to CCNA or taking another Micor$oft exam.

• AlexCrossAlexCross Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you take the 686, you have the option in the future to do a one exam upgrade to others. The 680 + 686 make you an Enterprise Desktop Administrator rather than Enterprise Desktop Support Technician. The path to get a MCSE is a little bit "easier" (less exams). Good Luck!