1.00 FTE: It really is your greatest weakness.

docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
Something to consider when asked the "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" question in an interview:

http://onefte.com/2011/11/25/it-really-is-your-greatest-weakness/
Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/

Comments

• slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think this question is about the lowest thing an interviewer can ask, this is right online with have you ever stolen anything. This one literally makes me want to walk out of interview's, this and the interviewers that try to be all tough and get you riled up to see how you respond, the next time I get asked this I'm going to respond with "women!" or "answering this question"

End rant.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    I think this question is about the lowest thing an interviewer can ask, this is right online with have you ever stolen anything. This one literally makes me want to walk out of interview's, this and the interviewers that try to be all tough and get you riled up to see how you respond, the next time I get asked this I'm going to respond with "women!" or "answering this question"

End rant.

"This. . .is why you fail." (misquoting Yoda)

This question, as bad as it is, exists for a reason. They want to see how you size yourself up, how you deal with your bad spots, and most importantly, how you react to being put on the spot.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    slinuxuzer wrote: »

End rant.

I think it's a perfectly valid question. It's worth knowing how self-aware, or how high of an opinion someone has of themselves. We all have our weaknesses, if a person is willing to candidly admit to them, own them, and embrace them, that tells me alot about who they are as a person. If someone tries to disseminate, then it also tells me alot about a person.

This is one of those questions where the manner that you answer it counts as much as what your answer is.

Personally, my answer is that I'm entirely too honest, and sometimes have issues being as diplomatic as I should be when interacting with others. I also tend to mention that I'm tenacious, and don't like to let go of a problem until I've solved it, as escalation feels like failure to me (this is another variation on the perfectionist theme).

I also tend to follow that up with that I've learned from those weaknesses and try to very carefully double check myself when I'm about to say something controversial, and that I've learned it's better to involve others for aid before it's too late. I don't wait for the interviewer to prompt me, I want them to understand that I'm very aware of my weak spots, and that I've already taken steps to shore up those faults. I also answer calmly and confidently, because I knew the question was coming, so there's no surprise.