what will happen if my cisco cert expires

mirror51mirror51 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
Suppose

1) i am CCNP CCIP certified and i didn't renew it for 5 years. what will happen. Do i need to give all exams again on one exam

2) if i am ccie certified and i didn't renew it in 5 years so after 5 years , i have to give lab exam again

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your certifications expire and you want to obtain them again it's like starting over from the beginning, you need to retake all of the exams required. Cisco makes it pretty easy to recertify with their policy, it's easier to renew than to redo.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    mirror51 wrote: »
    Suppose

1) i am CCNP CCIP certified and i didn't renew it for 5 years. what will happen. Do i need to give all exams again on one exam

2) if i am ccie certified and i didn't renew it in 5 years so after 5 years , i have to give lab exam again

Yes, if you let it lapse, you lose the credential and have to start over.

Otoh, if you have a CCIE, you just need to pass a Written exam once every 2 years to recertify, and that will also recertify everything else at the same time.

Basically, just try and take at least one exam on the current level you're at, or above, at least once every 2 years, and you'll never need to worry about recertification.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mirror51 wrote: »
    Suppose

If you are CCIE certified and didn't renew it for 5 years you either

A) Became the CIO and left hands on tech for big $$$ or...
    B) Started smoking some crack rock and forgot about life for a while

because that's the only way any sane person would let all the work that goes into a CCIE lapse. :)

Seriously though, as others have said, recert every 2 to 3 years and you'll be good to go. Keeps you sharp too IMHO.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One note on the CCIE recertification if anyone is interested, it's every 2 years and when you pass a written or lab exam it's an added 2 years. So for example I needed to recertify in Feb 2010 but I took the security written in 2009 and the voice written in 2010 so I am recertified until feb 2014. Pretty nice of them to do that. It doesn't affect the 3 years on the professional level certifications, they are still "3 years from the time you passed the written"
    The only easy day was yesterday!