87,057 USD if you get Project +

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
https://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/13158-Fifteen-Top-Paying-IT-Certifications.html

Another redonkulous certification website

Some of them look solid, but the Project + really sticks out.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I just feel sorry for the people that fall for this kind of stuff.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree, can't connect certs directly to a salary. It's the job role often combined with traditional education and/or years of experience that make up a salary. To get a better impression of the "value" of a cert in terms of salary they should compare the same job role with and without the cert - and even then these numbers are always skewed because their are many more factors than certs.
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have VCP and CISSP, where is my 100k? It has more to do with where you work, where you live, and whose A*% you kiss, than what certs you have.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Lol at ITIL v3 foundation being 90k+. Maybe if you were already a manager and acquired it you could be at that.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Thank God pay isn't based solely on what cert you have, or I'd never even think about getting most of those, as they'd be a pay cut, lol.

I wonder what the number of responses they decided a cert needed to have to make it "statically accurate" (they can't even spell statistically?) was.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    Thank God pay isn't based solely on what cert you have, or I'd never even think about getting most of those, as they'd be a pay cut, lol.

I wonder what the number of responses they decided a cert needed to have to make it "statically accurate" (they can't even spell statistically?) was.

That's funny!
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That is the FIRST time I have ever heard 115K for CISA!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know how to implement StorageWorks solutions. Can I have my $91K now?

I've designed and implemented a whole bunch of solutions with Proliant servers and StorageWorks. Surely, I can have at least $87K?

I could probably pass Project+ in a few weeks, if I can stay awake in the material. I'd better throw out my MS certs!

Legit question: Does anyone actual care about the HP certs? I work with HP StorageWorks and Proliant solutions all day (literally), and neither my employer nor our customers nor our HP partnership has ever called for a single certification from HP. Part of the reason we work with HP is that the products are some damn easy to implement and manage. Although I'm not looking for a job, I can't recall having ever seen an ad mention HP AIS certifications.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I found the mention of HP certification very interersting. Considering I have never "SEEN" a job requiring any of these certification. No much mention of Microsoft or Linux Certification. I am no Sherlock Holmes but....I think there are some alternative motives here.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Considering the fact that the data was provided to the blogger by GlobalKnowledge, an IT training provider, it's not strange that the numbers would skew up. Chances are, they're polling people who've taken the cert-classes and cherry-picking the top earners or using some kind of averaging system, (probably based on those who were already employed.) Those people earning $90K+ per year who hold ITIL v3 Foundations or CCNA: Voice are more than likely not entry-level workers with those as their only certs. It's kind of like going to Harvard, Stanford, and MIT and asking the compsci or law-students who have jobs lined up with fortune 50 companies how much they're going to be earning after their dissertation/thesis is done; those numbers will look very impressive, but will not reflect typical pay for everyone with an advanced degree.

What I would like to see is an independent poll taken in different metropolitan areas around the world and see what the average IT professional earns. At the very least, it would be nice to see a breakdown of those who went to college, those who hold no degree, what the highest-level cert they hold is, an idea of their job-role(s), and how much experience they have. It would be a far more complex list/chart than the one we see here, (so it wouldn't play as well to HR,) but it would be far more useful to those of us wanting to get an idea of where we stand in this industry.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    correlation.png
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Those numbers in the survey could very well be true.

I mean, have you seen the prices for Global Knowledge classes? You'd have to make 85K to afford their classes in the first place :D

The only ones that really look out of place are the ones for ITIL Foundation, HP, and Project+. Everything else actually looks believable, if you consider these are the salaries of people who took classes at Global Knowledge in the first place, then it's not so bad, especially considering the person with ITIL Expert probably has ITIL Foundation also, bumping up the average :D Or that the CCDP probably has NP and DA also and maybe even NA:Voice, bumping up the average in that one, too ... I think some people treat Cisco certs like pokemon :D.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Lol at ITIL v3 foundation being 90k+. Maybe if you were already a manager and acquired it you could be at that.

Yeah, I think a lot of these are from a certain level of IT worker, already making a good salary, and then getting Project+ or whatever certification.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    my boss has the windows nt cert and he makes 128k a year..... guess that is what is holding me back.... i knew i should have gone for win NT instead of the win 2000 cert back then...... darn...
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    my boss has the windows nt cert and he makes 128k a year..... guess that is what is holding me back.... i knew i should have gone for win NT instead of the win 2000 cert back then...... darn...

icon_lol.gif

We are forever doomed!
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    So a CCDA makes more than a CCNP? rofl. Wow.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    phantasm wrote: »
    So a CCDA makes more than a CCNP? rofl. Wow.

Actually, it might seem funny, but that CCDA probably has a CCNP already!

A lot of people go and get those design certs, to help position them to architectural-type positions, which do indeed pay more than a day-to-day maintaining things type of job that the NP would have. Also, a DA gives you a deeper appreciation, and a high-level view. (high-level views pay better).

As others have said, they don't tell you the job positions of these people. That is, they're putting a CCDA up there, while not mentioning that the person is working as a Network Architect in the first place.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wonder how they come up with these numbers.... having taken statistics in my undergrad, however, the thing that I learned is that all statistics can be skewed. A decent bulk of folks that get the Project+ are likely folks that are mid-level or higher and have some technical skills and certifications, which is why they make that much money... meaning the Project+ doesn't actually contribute to that salary figure.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mock Survey:

1) Please list the certs you have.
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-640, 70-642, 70-680
    2) Please list your salary.
    $90000

End of survey, thanks for filling this out.

Results of survey:

A+ Professional makes $90000. You can too! Get A+ NOW!!!

The above is pretty much an example of why I print out these things, and use them as emergency TP. You can take data, and make it say anything you want...there is never a disclaimer stating what most of us already know about them and that is just irresponsible. You get people getting into debt (be it credit cards and/or loans) to try to take classes that teach A+ (A+ of all things) and then these people expect to get high salaries for having a certification with NO experience. They don't mention that the A+ was earned YEARS before obtaining that 90k salary or that said professionals are not even doing break-fix desktop work (for his day job.)