SSCP good as next step for me?

studyguy1studyguy1 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I think I've decided that I am going to start studying for SSCP after recently passing the CCNA. I had it narrowed down to this and CCNA Security and decided on SSCP mainly for a change of pace. I eliminated the Security+ since I don't think another entry level certification is going to get me a job in this economy. How long did you guys have to study before you passed the test? It took me about two months of studying before I was able to pass the CCNA.

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I studied the SSCP for about a month before taking it, but my experience isn't the norm. I took it after the Security+ and the CISSP as part of another project. Your Network+ and CCNA knowledge will help for the Networks and Communications domain. Security+ knowledge helps with several other domains but that won't help you since you've decided to skip it.

As an aside, I'm not sure where you live or where you're willing to work, but if you pursue an IT job with the U.S. Department of Defense as either a federal employee or contractor, the Security+ is often required.

Good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    studyguy1 wrote: »
    How long did you guys have to study before you passed the test? It took me about two months of studying before I was able to pass the CCNA.
    How long it takes anyone to study for an exam depends on a lot of personal factors, such as how much do you already know about the exam's topics, what materials you study, and how well you study the material. These factors will be different or everybody.

You should be able to get an idea of how long you will need by looking over the exam's objectives and available materials. Nobody can give a more accurate estimate of the time and effort needed to study for an exam than yourself.
  • studyguy1studyguy1 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've studied for the Security+, I read through McGraw-Hill's Security+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide and did great on their practice test, its just that I don't really want to spend the money on it when I could skip straight to a higher level certification. Would the SSCP also fulfill the DOD's requirements?
    Would the SSCP also fulfill the DOD's requirements?
    It depends on which DoD Directive 8570.1 requirements. The SSCP satisfies the cert requirement for IAT Level I & II, but not IAM Level I, like the Security+ does. In fact, the best DoD cert combination to have seems to be the CISSP with Security+.

And getting the Security+ is not necessarily about getting a job, but about starting a career in InfoSec.
  • studyguy1studyguy1 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What websites can I go to to find out what openings there are for DoD jobs that require a Security+ certification? Do you think I would have a chance of getting those jobs with just the Security+ certification with no experience?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What websites can I go to to find out what openings there are for DoD jobs that require a Security+ certification? Do you think I would have a chance of getting those jobs with just the Security+ certification with no experience?
    Generally, certs with no experience are only good for an entry-level job. As TeKnique suggests, check the job boards that have DoD jobs. Also check the job boards of DoD contractors, such as Lockheed, Northrup, Boeing, SAIC, GD, etc.
  • mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't exactly call Security + entry level, It may be to the Comptia family of certs, but the network + is considered a preq. to Sec +. Alot of the material covered in the Exam is very useful for other Security Certs. Security + is highly regarded in the industry.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mrvl13 wrote: »
    I wouldn't exactly call Security + entry level
    I would. Security+ is a great cert with great material, and I proudly list it on my resume, but it is the entry-level security cert. Now, for non-security jobs, an entry-level security cert is in a sense higher than entry level. Certainly, Security+ is more valued than Net+ or A+. But it isn't as valuable as a CCNA or MCSA/MCTS/MCITP:SA/DST, which would be mid-level networking and systems certs, respectively. So it's less than mid-level in systems and networking, and undeniably entry level in security... that doesn't really leave too much room for definition.

Really, I think the problem is that "entry-level" implies a very limited set of definitions (entry, mid, and high level). This might be easier given a 5-tiered or 10-tiered system, but that's just trying to objective something that's inherently subjective and arbitrary.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK! so what if you have 10 years network experience and 2 years security experience w/ Net + and Sec + and also SSCP
  • Q80CrudQ80Crud Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you wanna do anything IT related for DOD, you're gonna need at least SEC+ to do a job beyond the helpdesk level. You may need to start at that level before you can progress to a higher level position.
    With your currents certs, I'm sure someone would be interested; especially if your CCNA is current. The only way you'll know is to apply for jobs. If you're currently or were in the service, you can apply at Militaryhire.com. Or, if you have a security clearance, build a profile at ClearanceJobs.com. If you don't have either, go to CareerBuilder or Dice