Ubiquiti PC Card

I have been looking at getting a new card for my laptop, I work about 2 miles from my home and have built a direction antenna from my home, My pc card is pretty rubbish and although receives a reasonable signal it doesnt have the power to do the return leg. So I been looking at high power cards with external antennas and came across this one http://www.ubnt.com/src/src_datasheet.pdf
has anyone heard of ubiquiti is this a good card? any alternatives?
Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I've haven't heard any reviews of this card. If you do use it, make sure that you use only an antenna that has been certified by the FCC for use with this card, otherwise it will violate FCC regulations. This is especially important if you will be creating a PtP link that is miles in length.

And let me know if you find the Ubiquiti SR2 PCMCIA card for under $140US. I don't see anyone selling them on eBay.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    If you do use it, make sure that you use only an antenna that has been certified by the FCC for use with this card, otherwise it will violate FCC regulations. This is especially important if you will be creating a PtP link that is miles in length

Im in Europe so we are covered by ETSI which limits such Transmissions to 100mW, however due to the nature of my job in the military which involves microwave and satelitle links we all have a commercial radio license, it doesnt mention 802.11b/a specifically but allows point to point links to be not more than 100W from source or not more than 120Bd effective radiated power! whether this applies to me at home I dont know yet, as Im building my own antennas out of everything and testing them at the moment. I have been linking with two linksys wrt54GS access points running the Talisman firmware, but its not easy to lug them around hence the PCMCIA Card.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.