Wish me luck Taking the PMP today at 12:30 central time

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've prepared for over 2 months averaging anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours a day. Used the CBT Nuggets and then read Rita's PMP Exam Prep and barely touched the PMBOK. Maybe a total of a 100 pages 1/3 the book. Going back through a few formulas [variances, indexs etc]. Covering some of the knowledge area's I score low on.

Took the practice exam and scored 73% and 84% so I feel somewhat confident.

I'll post back later on how things went.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Good luck! *keeping fingers crossed*
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    good luck, bring back a pass and a review of the test
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    good luck!!!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck - you can do it!!!
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    best of luck. icon_study.gif
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TeKniques wrote: »
    Good Luck!

I regretfully inform you that I did not pass.

The 2 process groups I failed were Initation and Closure. Consequently I have very limited exposure to those two, so what they say is true. It's a really good idea to have a lot of project experience before tackling this test. I find it ironic that it said just because you meet the requirements doesn't mean you should take it. I think I am the poster boy for that way of thinking :)

I did well in planning and execution and so-so in control and monitoring. I will not be taking this exam again, but not because of sour grapes, because it provides very little value at where I am at. The knowledge I obtained will be applied to my current position and ones to come. Just because you didn't pass an exam doesn't mean you didn't learn from it. [Of course you guys and gals know this already though]

I think the material is really good to know and can make any business professional more valuable to their organization.

Anyway I am a little down and really don't feel like discussing it any further. Any question let me know I can answer them as soon as I see them

Now off to get a Perdomo Champaign 15 and a half pint of Johnny Red. ;)
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So sorry about the fail.

This certification is on my to-do list, but starting graduate school next month and this month I'm trying to wrap up my MCITP:EA. If I were to gun for any certification in 2012, it would be the SQL Server 2008 Administrator and even then, I would have to see how I would study for it.

I have people at my job suggesting I should take the CISSP. While I can technically take the exam, like you, I feel that just because I can doesn't mean I should. (CISSP and PMP are two exams that you have to spend more than a fair amount of time on just studying...)

I think a better deal for me would be to take the SSCP/CAPM first and then take the CISSP/PMP. We all know the differences between the CISSP/PMP but the one similarity is the amount of time that one has to spend on either and not to mention the exam length. But in the case of the PMP, I think maybe obtaining the CAPM would be a better deal and then going PMP. At least then you're familiar with the format, etc., and feel comfortable with the exam.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, and so sorry about the fail.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear that! Treat yourself, make it a pint! :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    Sorry to hear that! Treat yourself, make it a pint! :)

Great idea!
  • forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    N2IT wrote: »

I think the material is really good to know and can make any business professional more valuable to their organization.

Anyway I am a little down and really don't feel like discussing it any further. Any question let me know I can answer them as soon as I see them

Sorry you did not pass, but don't let this one get you down. I'd encourage you to try it one more time, if the exam's cost isn't a big deal. PMI recently reformed the application process so it isn't a drag like it used to...instead of a 25 pages application, now it's like 8 or 9 pages. Just getting vetted and their permission to take the test is a minor achievement in the right direction.
  • forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I have people at my job suggesting I should take the CISSP. While I can technically take the exam, like you, I feel that just because I can doesn't mean I should. (CISSP and PMP are two exams that you have to spend more than a fair amount of time on just studying...)

I think a better deal for me would be to take the SSCP/CAPM first and then take the CISSP/PMP. We all know the differences between the CISSP/PMP but the one similarity is the amount of time that one has to spend on either and not to mention the exam length. But in the case of the PMP, I think maybe obtaining the CAPM would be a better deal and then going PMP. At least then you're familiar with the format, etc., and feel comfortable with the exam.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, and so sorry about the fail.

Yah I agree with your strategy. I took the SSCP first and it helped focus my CISSP time and test strategies a great deal.

However I attempted the CAPM two years ago using the AiO book by Joseph Phillips, Sybex's, and a bunch of notes but still failed. The exam was very wordy so after two dozen questions I felt distracted and drained. I could only imagine the PMP was much worst.

I know some people that got laid off from their 10+ years at PM jobs for the state of California who took the PMP recently and failed.

That led me to conclude that the exam tests a little bit of your experience and PM knowledge, and mostly how well you think like the wonderful and kind folks at PMI.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass it. Although you may be discouraged about it right now, the PMP is one of those certs that will deinitely benefit you monetarily in the long run. Whether you decide to take it again or not I wish you the best in the future.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168

The 2 process groups I failed were Initation and Closure. Consequently I have very limited exposure to those two, so what they say is true. It's a really good idea to have a lot of project experience before tackling this test. I find it ironic that it said just because you meet the requirements doesn't mean you should take it. I think I am the poster boy for that way of thinking :)

I did well in planning and execution and so-so in control and monitoring. I will not be taking this exam again, but not because of sour grapes, because it provides very little value at where I am at. The knowledge I obtained will be applied to my current position and ones to come. Just because you didn't pass an exam doesn't mean you didn't learn from it. [Of course you guys and gals know this already though]

Sorry to hear that, but it's good that you learned from the material as it can only help you in your career. I know how down one can get when they don't pass but hopefully you'll take it again down the road.
    keep your head up...

the perdomo champagne is a good choice. one of my faves.. when you pass the next go round have an Opus X waiting for ya!

so how did the Rita book line up with what was on the exam?
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

I know some people that got laid off from their 10+ years at PM jobs for the state of California who took the PMP recently and failed.

That led me to conclude that the exam tests a little bit of your experience and PM knowledge, and mostly how well you think like the wonderful and kind folks at PMI.

i feel this exact way about microsoft tests
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

With respect to your friends, I wouldn't hold too much stock in this. I've known "project managers" in the public sector on my side of the coast who couldn't spell "methodology" let alone apply one. One "PM" in particular is without question useless. A friend of mine did not believe me when I told him this. He had a meeting with her not too long ago to explain requirements for a new ID system. She did not contribute anything of value to that meeting and the questions she was asking to gather requirements weren't even relevant to the subject at hand.

I'm not saying that scenario applies to your friends though...just saying that PMs from the public sector may/may not subscribe to PMI methodologies (or even be remotely familiar with them.)
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Sorry to hear about this attempt, and good luck on your next go around! You can do it!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass it. Although you may be discouraged about it right now, the PMP is one of those certs that will deinitely benefit you monetarily in the long run. Whether you decide to take it again or not I wish you the best in the future.

+1 on this. The wealth of knowledge you gained from this experience will last you a lifetime :)

Keep your head up and know that you went in guns blazing. If you decide to take another shot at it after some time off, you can now say you know your enemy and your weak points from round 1; round 2 will be VICTORY!
    good thing is that the retake is cheaper than the original exam, but remember you only have 1 year from the time you first applied to take the first exam....

after reading your first post you had me motivated enough to at least submit my application package (waiting on approval from PMI)... hit the books, study up on your weak areas and take the exam again while the material is still fresh in your brain.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□

The knowledge I obtained will be applied to my current position and ones to come. Just because you didn't pass an exam doesn't mean you didn't learn from it. [Of course you guys and gals know this already though]

I couldn't agree with this statement more. I get in arguments with people over this all the time. I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass though. I hear this is a tough one.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Keep up the good work and studying, your motivation will take you far in life.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep it up and you will get it. After this semester is over (I have been ready for weeks now) I am planning on kicking up the studying... I am hoping to put together on an online study group with WebEx or something. We'll see how it goes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    +1 on this. The wealth of knowledge you gained from this experience will last you a lifetime :)

Keep your head up and know that you went in guns blazing. If you decide to take another shot at it after some time off, you can now say you know your enemy and your weak points from round 1; round 2 will be VICTORY!

Thanks to all. Yeah I am gearing up to take the exam in a few months. I am buying test questions from RMC (1500+), and hopefully getting the audio as well and rereading the book and the PMBOK. Tall order, but this plan should get me to the promise land. I'll post back in 2 months and hopefully bring back a winner.

Update*** Purchased the exam and audio book FYI
    check out the headfirst PMP book http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Pmp-Brain-Friendly-Professional/dp/0596801912/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324646984&sr=8-1

I have it and like it better than Rita's book, and easier to understand. Plus explained some sections of the PMBOK that I were making my brain hurt before.

Also check out these audio lectures and the last one by Mr. Crowe has his great book, plus audio CD's and free acess to videos and exams on the insite website (normally would run over $300 for the videos and tests).

and then http://www.amazon.com/Portable-PMP%C3%82%C2%AE-Exam-Prep-Conversations/dp/1890367532/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IEIDJHOPL9P3I&colid=VZRZINKOQQHN

or Amazon.com: All-in-One PMP Exam Prep Kit (Test Prep series) (9780982760802): Andy Crowe PMP PgMP: Books