70-685 Resources

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
It's a good idea to have CompTIA A+ knowledge before taking a shot at this exam. The 70-685 does cover some hardware troubleshooting, though troubleshooting Win7 is the main subject of the exam.

Resources and Study Guide for the 70-685 TS Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.

Windows 7 90-day trial

Skills Measured:
Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

Recommended Reading:

MS Press 70-685

Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration: Real World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams 70-685 and 70-686) -Darril Gibson

Windows 7: Troubleshooting and Support

Skills Measured

Identifying Cause of and Resolving Desktop Application Issues
(20%)

Applocker

Compatibility Tools

Identifying Cause of and Resolving Networking Issues (23%)

Windows Network Diagnostics

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Network problems

Network Troubleshooting Tools
Netsh command for IPv4 and IPv6

Netsh command for WLAN

Setting up a wireless connection with Windows 7

Managing and Maintaining Systems that run Windows 7 client (21%)

Action Center

Device Manager

Reliability Monitor

Performance Monitor

Performance Monitor - Technet

Performance Reliability Monitoring Step-by-Step Guide

Event Viewer

System Recovery Options

Windows Memory Diagnostics

Chkdsk

Disk Defragmenter

Windows 7 Boot Process

Supporting Mobile Users (18%)

Wireless

Troubleshooting Wireless problems

VPN Connections

Virtual Private Networks

Types of VPN Tunneling Protocols
Direct Access

Identify and resolve Windows Internet Explorer security issues
(18%)

Credential Manager

UAC

Internet Explorer Add-Ons

Internet Explorer - Protected Mode

Internet Explorer - Certificates

Encrypting File System

BitLocker

Windows Defender

WSUS

Windows Update

Baseline Security Analyzer

Psoasman's Notes:
http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/56931-685-notes.html

Event Types Defined:

• Application events- These events are either classified as error, warning, or information, depending on the severity of the event. An error is a significant problem, such as loss of data. A warning is an event that is not necessarily significant, but might indicate a possible future problem. An information event describes the successful operation of a program, driver, or service.
  • Security-related events - These events are called audits and are described as successful or failed, depending on the event, such as whether a user trying to log on to Windows was successful.
  • Setup events - Computers that are configured as domain controllers will have additional logs displayed here.
  • System events - System events are logged by Windows and Windows system services, and are classified as error, warning, or information.
  • Forwarded events - These events are forwarded to this log by other computers.
  • Applications and Services Logs vary - Applications and Services logs are a new category of event logs. They include separate logs about the programs that run on your computer, as well as more detailed logs that pertain to specific Windows services.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good Start!
    STICKY!
    Darril's book will be out July 20, 2010.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • BocaRatonITBocaRatonIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Veritas, here is a link to the original 70-685 Resources thread, maybe you can use it to help finish this one and update it as well.

I am reading the last chapter in the MS press book for the 70-685 today after I read each chapter I watch the corresponding CBT nuggets video. Hopefully this thread will help me study.

I'm still not sure what to do about the Appendix in this book, its 250 more pages to read. This is my first MS Press book,(used Sybex for 70-680 and Net+) so I'm not sure if they are all set up this way.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Veritas, here is a link to the original 70-685 Resources thread, maybe you can use it to help finish this one and update it as well.

Thanks, I searched and somehow missed that thread. Hmm...
    icon_wm.gif and I shot some Personal Messages back and forth about the two 685 threads. We agreed not to merge them, but rather to just sticky this thread.

@Claymoore: I stole many of the links from your 70-680 Resource thread.

@Germanicus: I stole some of your links as well.
  • Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ...and yes! Yesterday started to watch nuggets about 685 and these resources come in handy. Thanks for the post.icon_cheers.gif
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice work on the resources, I just started studying for this exam.
    earweed wrote: »
    Good Start!
    STICKY!
    Darril's book will be out July 20, 2010.

Talked to Darril on LinkedIn yesterday. It is now officially available :)
    Ok, I'm halfway through MS Press 70-685 and I'm dissapointed - half of material and topics covered is from the MS Press 70-680. You could easily study from 70-680 and get the same (or even more) information. Waste of $40 imho. Won't recoomend it.
    Matt27[lt] wrote: »
    Ok, I'm halfway through MS Press 70-685 and I'm dissapointed - half of material and topics covered is from the MS Press 70-680. You could easily study from 70-680 and get the same (or even more) information. Waste of $40 imho. Won't recoomend it.

Interesting view, I would say certain topics are much deeper than they were in 70-680. For instance, DirectAccess and other VPN issues are much deeper.
    Interesting view, I would say certain topics are much deeper than they were in 70-680. For instance, DirectAccess and other VPN issues are much deeper.
    I've read only chapters about Performance/Event forwarding, Win7 Compatibility, Updates and Printers. Maybe next it will get interesting.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have read the first 3 chapters of the 685 and it's refreshingly direct and easy to follow so far. Tony Northrup is a solid author and he keeps it entertaining.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I have read the first 3 chapters of the 685 and it's refreshingly direct and easy to follow so far. Tony Northrup is a solid author and he keeps it entertaining.

I have to agree. I am looking forward to reading his 70-680 book.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This just posted in the MS Exam Cram Marathon:

Craigabrown's Blog

Looks like lots of good information.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Damn nice list and thanks for posting! Going to need this soon!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • nassaunassau Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I Just registered to say thanks for this useful information, before I take my 70-685 exam.

Thanks again:)
  • Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I want to pass this exam. Are the books in the sticky still the best options? The reviews are mixed. Also any PDF or Kindle books I can buy?