Options

ISDN on CCNA 640-801

masadullmasadull Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

This is my first post on these forums, so hi to all of you. I just remmember reading on here that ISDN is not on the 640-801 exam and since I am currently on the ISDN and Dial on Demand Routing chapter on the CISCO ICND Book by W. Odom (Chapter 10), I just wanted to know if there is any truth to that, or I should read this topic for sure? Also, just wanted to know everyone's opinion on whether these 2 books by Odom (INTRO AND ICND) are good and sufficient books to study from? or I should also invest in something else? I also have the 600+ question practice test with all the topics categorized which I am also studying. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I plan to take my test in the next month or two. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Even though you may not get very many questions regarding ISDN, you need to read the whole chapter through and through. Cisco guarentees that a CCNA has the aptitude to support a small network (1-50 nodes I belevie) including configuration and troubleshooting of ISDN, point to point links, and Frame Relay. So make sure you know how to do it, as its is part of being a true CCNA.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    OK got it, any opinions/suggestions on my choice of books and overall preperation material?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hi to you too,

I recommend using a practice lab with real routers/switches or a lab simulator (ie. boson routersim) in addition to the books and practice exams.
  • Options
    silver_225silver_225 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi and welcome to the boards. I stumbled across the board when I began studying for my CCNA in April/May. This board has been a great source of information, real life experience and knowledge.

I would say that you need to learn ISDN and troubleshooting. Definitely how to troubleshoot and know what to look for.

My suggestion besides the books you are using and the lab sim, would be to add Lamle's 5th edtion book. I took the test twice, failing with only the simulator and Odom's books the first time. The second time I added Lamle's book and passed the test. I found Lamle's book a great compliment to Odom's. Using Boson's sim, Odom's and Lamle's books I was fully prepared the second time around.
  • Options
    Great. Thanks.
  • Options
    blork_98blork_98 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hello,

I only used Odoms books to pass the exams, but I tried to find as many free practice exams on the net, on the cisco site itself and also "borrowing" my friends boson simulator and exam questions.