Icnd1 and 2 or Composite

Skoal_ManSkoal_Man Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wanted a little advice. As you can see in my profile, I currently have Net+ sand Sec+ certs. I want to obtain the CCNA. I've been working in InfoSec for going on 2 months now. I was a database admin for a 3rd party hosted database for 3 years prior in a very small business. I'm now in InfoSec for a large corporation. I've been getting some hands on work with Cisco switches at my new job and I enjoy working with them. So a CCNA would help with that and help with continuing learning more about InfoSec.

Giving my experience would everyone still suggest the two test route?

Comments

• ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Skoal_Man wrote: »
    Just wanted a little advice. As you can see in my profile, I currently have Net+ sand Sec+ certs. I want to obtain the CCNA. I've been working in InfoSec for going on 2 months now. I was a database admin for a 3rd party hosted database for 3 years prior in a very small business. I'm now in InfoSec for a large corporation. I've been getting some hands on work with Cisco switches at my new job and I enjoy working with them. So a CCNA would help with that and help with continuing learning more about InfoSec.

Giving my experience would everyone still suggest the two test route?

I like the 2 certification for the fact that:

1. You can break up the learning so you don't have to learn everything at once. I couldn't imagine learning all ICND1 and ICND2 and taking one test on it.
    2. You get two certifications, CCENT for ICND1 and CCNA for ICND2. Not that having two certifications really changes that much...but I would rather have both CCENT and CCNA than just CCNA. Just my personal opinion though..
  • drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with ciscoman2012. You can break up the knowledge through incremental learning and the cost of the exam is easier to digest in two parts also. Alot of people complain about time limits too, so breaking up the tests increases your chance of success.
  • altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    +1 for taking both exams separately. After I passed my CCENT and took CCNA, I was confident that exam questions from CCENT would have still been easy. Although now, I could see myself taking one full exam, I would still rather individually. I also think you'd be able to focus better on the material. Just my two cents :)
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • Skoal_ManSkoal_Man Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I'll add my opinion since I do not agree with taking the 2 exams separately (with a caveat). This does depend on your experience level, but if you have some experience with networking the ICND1 material is very easy and basic - most of it is covered in Network+ except for the basics of switching and routing and a few other minor subject levels. I am taking the single exam track and I think that is the better option for folks with some experience.

If you do not have much experience with networking then I would definitely take the 2 exam route. I think it just depends on your experience/comfort level with networking.
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    The biggest advantage you get by taking them separately is time. You have more of it when you take them separately. To me, this is a plus.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • simonmoonsimonmoon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Corndork2 wrote: »
    The biggest advantage you get by taking them separately is time. You have more of it when you take them separately. To me, this is a plus.

How is that the case? You get twice as much time, but you also end up with twice as many questions.