Access Servers, is Cisco the best?

SteveThingSteveThing Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I'm wanting to get an access server for my lab (10 devices) and curious if I should go for an AS2511-RJ or an aftermarket "Port Server"? I've been looking around and most people have the price of the Cisco gear jacked up due to demand. I've been looking at alternatives such as the Perle IOLAN series.

Does anyone have a third-party access server and what have been your experiences thus far?

Thanx
CompTIA: Net+, Sec+
Aruba: ACMA, ACMP
Air Force:
2E251, 3D152, Fiber Installation Expert, Certified Cryptographic Network Professional, and a couple hundred useless certs on nothing important in real life (aka, Tree Killing+)

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I ran out of ports on my 2511 and bought a Cyclades TS3000 off eBay for 100 bucks. I like it much better because it's silent and I can make the cables to the required length.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a MRV LX-8000 which is pretty cool. It has telnet, ssh and web access with user management.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got my Lantronix SCS1620 off ebay for $25. Although it was advertised as parts or not working. It took a bit of learning to get it up and running again.

I had to re-image the flash via ubuntu (which I am not a linux person at all).

It's working fine now, just gotta take it home and install it in the rack.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I have an opengear, similar model to the one that is used in the packetlife.net lab. I had a Cisco, and was happy with it, but I ran out of ports, now I have 48, so that should never be a problem. I also love the ability to get into my gear through a website, lets me lab behind the firewall at work.
  • SteveThingSteveThing Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In other words, money is better spent on third party specialization. Thank you for the insight. Not sure which way I will go yet, but prices are extremely varied for similar features.

Quesiton is, how much money should I expect to shell out?
    CompTIA: Net+, Sec+
    Aruba: ACMA, ACMP
    Air Force:
    2E251, 3D152, Fiber Installation Expert, Certified Cryptographic Network Professional, and a couple hundred useless certs on nothing important in real life (aka, Tree Killing+)
  • CbrandonBCbrandonB Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kalebksp wrote: »
    I ran out of ports on my 2511 and bought a Cyclades TS3000 off eBay for 100 bucks. I like it much better because it's silent and I can make the cables to the required length.

How did you make your cables so that it would work with a Cisco console port?

My TS3000 is coming in today. :)

And, Steve, I picked it up for $90 shipped, FWIW. I've also seen TS2000s for about $50 shipped or so.

Brandon