Passed EX-300, now a RHCE

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Dear all,

after taking the test on Friday (December 16th) I just received the email from Red Hat stating that I passed with 300/300 points. I didn't feel that confident after the test since there were some tasks where you had no way to verify your configuration properly but it seems I got it all right. There was one task where, instead of configuring it properly, I just introduced a real ugly hack. Apparently Red Hat just tests for the results and not how you got there so it's all good :)

The RHCE was on my list for this year and I am really glad that I got it cleared just in time. I paid for both, RHCSA and RHCE out of my own pocket since I want to go self-employed next year and having them on my resume should get my foot in the door at some places.

As for the difficulty I would say that it is definitely harder than RHCSA. Time is key here. On the RHCSA exam I had enough time to read all the man-pages on one topic that I didn't study and still finish easily. For RHCE you need to know your stuff and config files. But if you prepare well and have like maybe 3+ years of real-world linux administration under your belt you should be able to make it.

Now it's time to switch into christmas- and new-year-mode before I go back to the CCNP beast in 2012.

Regards,
Lordy
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!

How much experience did you have going into the RHCE and how long did you study?
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude. I see you've got the reply on sunday
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congratulations !
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How much experience did you have going into the RHCE and how long did you study?

I have been working with Red Hat products since Red Hat 6.0 came out in 1999. I have been administrating systems for a living for roughly 10 years now.

As for the studying, I bought Damien's book but honestly didn't read it. I wanted to but didn't find the time. I browsed through it on exam day when I got up at around 8:30 and the test was at 14:00 but that just gave me a confidence boost and little new knowledge.

I read through the prep guide and there were no topics that scared me execpt for maybe iSCSI since you hardly get to play with that. Everything else, like mail, web, security, etc has been my daily business for years so I wasn't expecting anything to be too difficult.
  • anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats fopr slaying the beast. looks like a few people are getting their results on a sunday
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    congratss!!!

what's next?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

UnixGuy wrote: »
    what's next?

Back to CCNP, again.

I have been studying on and off for it for quite some time now but I really want to get it done in 2012.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Congratulations on your pass. But wait, you said you paid everything from your pocket? Ouch! Classes AND exams?
    varelg wrote: »
    But wait, you said you paid everything from your pocket? Ouch! Classes AND exams?

I didn't take any classes and went straight to the exam. I paid € 400 for the EX-200 and € 450 for the EX-300. That's a lot of money but I see it as in investment into my professional career that will pay for itself over the next few years.
  • noor00nnoor00n Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation on your result
    tell us about the task in the exam