CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) worth doing or not! Any thoughts?

quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
I noticed there are a lot of poeple here with a wealth of certs and experience, I am currently completing the CIW secuirty professional (web security professional) and then on to the SSCP. I am looking into the CEH but am unsure as to the weight it carries for potential employment, any thoughts would be appreciated. I am thinking of going down the penetration testing path at this stage, but as we all know that can always change!!

So far I have:

CompTIA
A+ (OS) 2007
A+ (HW) 2007
N+ 2008
Sec+ 2011 (201)

As a foot note, those going for the Security+ 301 exam, use Darril Gibson's book, I used that and the Security+ Eaxm Cram. Many of the questions in Darril's book and the Exam Cram very closely represented the exam.

Hope this is helpfull.
Steve
The Wings of Technology

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    As far as the C|EH, I'm only doing it because it's in my degree program.

If you're interested in pen testing, it'd be good to learn the modules covered by the C|EH. As far as taking the cert, I would consider it on the entry-level side of pen testing.

As far as knowledge about the modules, If you have Sec+ and also obtain SSCP, you would have a strong foundation to build upon for doing C|EH.

The Learning Key Videos for C|EH (through school, wouldn't buy this myself) actually state that A+ and Network+ are a foundation to have before attempting C|EH. So, if you get up to the level of Security+ and SSCP, you should be OK.

Now I'm repeating myself.

Laters!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the Heads up, much appreciated, I did some further research this afternoon and from what I can tell you are spot on about my other certs and pending certs as far as repitition, fuuny though it does seem that many go that way anyhow and just get a little deeper each time. I was looking at the CEH all in one guide and it seems to rehash much of what I have already learned on many levels.

Thanks for the reply Instant:)
    Very much appreciated.
    The Wings of Technology
  • drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Becoming a CEH also fulfills the DoD 8570 requirements for working CND (Computer Network Defense) as a civilian or contracted employee. It actually fulfills four levels -

[TH]CND ANALYST[/TH]
    [TH]CND INFRASTRUCTURE SUPPORT[/TH]
    [TH]CND INCIDENT RESPONDER[/TH]
    [TH]CND AUDITOR[/TH]

Please see: Dept of Defense Directive: DoDD 8570

It is worth doing if you want to be considered by the Federal Government for employment in that line of work.
    quinnyfly wrote: »
    I noticed there are a lot of poeple here with a wealth of certs and experience, I am currently completing the CIW secuirty professional (web security professional) and then on to the SSCP. I am looking into the CEH but am unsure as to the weight it carries for potential employment, any thoughts would be appreciated. I am thinking of going down the penetration testing path at this stage, but as we all know that can always change!!

So far I have:

CompTIA
    A+ (OS) 2007
    A+ (HW) 2007
    N+ 2008
    Sec+ 2011 (201)

As a foot note, those going for the Security+ 301 exam, use Darril Gibson's book, I used that and the Security+ Eaxm Cram. Many of the questions in Darril's book and the Exam Cram very closely represented the exam.

Hope this is helpfull.
    Steve
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Personally I think its worth doing for the experience. I must say that I enjoyed the experience.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks very much:) It does seem many folks in the security field have the C|EH or one of their respective certs. Once I get more experience it might well pay to do it. The CISSP is also at the top of my list but I am only taking things one setp at a time.

Thanks Again
    The Wings of Technology