Network+ Nerves No Longer (I PASSED!)

j86cicij86cici Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Starting to get pretty nervous that I will see questions I'm not prepared for on my Network+ exam tomorrow. What is the likelihood I will be caught off guard by material I am not familiar with? Has anyone else had problems with this in the past? Thanks!

UPDATE
I passed! 810/900. It took me a little less than an hour to complete the 100 questions and then review each question individually. Unfortunately, at a testing station a few down from mine, a woman started to flip out during the middle of my exam. They say nothing about this situation in any Network+ preparation guides icon_biggrin.gif. I'm crazy pumped right now, thanks to everyone who posts on this board for your assistance!

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you know the OSI model well? Do you know common protocols, such HTTP, DHCP, DNS, SMTP, POP, ICMP, TCP, IP, etc? Can you tie most of those protocols to their ports and transport protocols? Do you know common network media, connectors, and standards? Can you tie data rates to those media?

If you answered yes to the above questions, you will be fine. Net+ may get you with a few specific questions that are about memorizing numbers or relatively trivial data, but for the most part if you have a solid understanding of the OSI and what protocols go into making the average network function, you will be just fine.

Also, what did you use for study material?
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Since we do not know your level of understanding of the concept covered in the test, we can't answer that question. Most of us have seen items that we did not study covered in tests. If you studied thoroughly, you may encounter a few. If you did not study as much as you should've, then you will find tons of unfamiliar material. As Ptilsen mentioned if you can master those topics you should be good to go. Don't let your mind play tricks on you.

At this point you know what you know, nothing more, nothing less. Getting nervous achieves nothing. Take that out of your mind before it's too late. Since the test is tomorrow you should be relaxing and not studying, reviewing, worrying, etc.
  • j86cicij86cici Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses. I've used Glen Clarke's CompTIA Network+ Certification Study Guide, Fourth Addition, Professor Messer's videos and written out a pretty large stack of flash cards for studying.

To ptilsen, I can answer yes to what you've laid out. I guess I just need to stay focused on a positive feeling at this point.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    It sounds like you've done a lot to prepare so you should do fine. Share your success with us after you've passed.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+ Tip of the Day
  • charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Do you know the OSI model well? Do you know common protocols, such HTTP, DHCP, DNS, SMTP, POP, ICMP, TCP, IP, etc? Can you tie most of those protocols to their ports and transport protocols? Do you know common network media, connectors, and standards? Can you tie data rates to those media?

If you answered yes to the above questions, you will be fine. Net+ may get you with a few specific questions that are about memorizing numbers or relatively trivial data, but for the most part if you have a solid understanding of the OSI and what protocols go into making the average network function, you will be just fine.

Also, what did you use for study material?

I am writing mines Jan 2nd, 2012. After hearing this from you, I am actually not as worried. But hopefully it is like what you said. For my A+, I did well on the essentials. But I kinda slack a bit on practical part, I did pass, but it wasn't in the range where I expected. So, I been trying to overstudy for network+ to make sure there are no chicken scratch this time. Cause I heard Network+ is mostly a practical exam.