pc hardware problem

karson wongkarson wong Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, do you guy can help me?

A guy complain me to burned out the mothboard by the about connection.
From the power supply a power cable with two big and one small plug. the small plug to floppy drive, the two big to cd and dvd rom. I add a case fan to system but the power plug is big one that I can't use the motherboard's fan power source connector. The big plug has two side one is male other is female. So I took out one of cd rom's power plug combined them together.
"Dose these can burned out the motherboard????? icon_rolleyes.gif
Do you guy have such experience or any opinion?
Thank you so much!!!

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'm not entirely certain what your question is.

Can someone fry a mobo by incorrectly connecting components/PS...ah, yes.

Is this what you did? I cannot understand your comment, possibly.

My question for you is why are you working on someone's box without experience or someone with experience nearby to check your work? If you customer says you messed up his box, and you do not know...you may be replacing parts.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    i hope you had the system turned off when you were playing with the plugs....
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • karson wongkarson wong Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Simply there was not enough power plug to use from the power supply. I add the case fan to the cd rom's power plug.
    Of cause I aready dis connected the power from the wallout!!! when did that.
  • hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
    How big is/was the power supply? It should have been sufficent for the addition of a case fan. What kind of case fan is being added the the system?
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    it sounds like you did everything correctly.........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Not only What size PS did you have, but was it rated for what you were installing?

What CPU/MOBO/drives/GC were you installing? Again, if you were not certain what to do, why didn't a co-worker check your work?

The LGA775 takes at least a 350W PS with 16-18A on the 12+...However, my experience has been that 350W isn't hardly enough to run a CPU/GC and couple drives.....BECAUSE, the GC usually spec's a min PS requirement as well.

How about airflow? Was your Chassis rated for TAC1.1?

Even though things can 'just plug in" doesn't mean they should. A technician needs to pay attention to the amps and voltage being consumed by specific parts.

Stating that the PS didn't have enough molex connections available....makes me a bit uneasy (thinking it's way too small for most of today's hardware.)

There isn't a way to know if you did or didn't do something correctly without seeing what you did. Certainly, it doesn't sound like you have built many systems. Not a criticism, as one needs to begin somewhere, but there is a bit more to building quality boxes than 'pluging stuff together'.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • karson wongkarson wong Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let me tell you guy the whole story:

A guy's system was too heat. I suggested to add one more case fan. There is a 350w power supply. All the power plug were full " Two cable came from the P.S w / two big plug and a small one. One cable for the two IDE hard drive, and one cable for the DVD burner and cd ROM. The motherboard still has a plug for fan use. But the guy only has a case fan w / big power plug. So I choose add the the fan to the cd ROM. After returned the guy said "He smell burn when turned on the system." I checked that the power supply is ok but the motherboard was died.

The nain point is, in my wiew even if add the case fan to made the power supply overload that only burned down the P.S. No matter would made the motherboard died. But the guy that challenged me said he sure that the reason to burdout the motherboard and he is the master degree of "Computer Science."

His opinion is "The case fan what ever can't share the power with the cd rom or hard drive"
  • A masters degree in computer science could mean he just knows PC programming. In any case, the fan should be able to connect to another IDE device. I am assuming you had a molex style connector that would allow it to draw power off of the IDE device. This type of setup is perfectly possible. One thing that could have happened which was stated in a previous reply is that it wasn't plugged in properly, allowing for the MoBo to fry. In most cases, a system fan uses a smaller 3 pin connecter that goes straight to the MoBo. It is tough to decide at this point exactly what made the MoBo burnout though. Do you have a multimeter to check voltages with?