Lync courses or bootcamp.

My employer has asked me to submit any training I'd like to go to by COB today. If I don't submit anything, I won't get to go to any training. Also I'm only supposed to submit training for areas I could use some improvement in. We have OCS 2007 R2 right now (with ~15k users), but will probably be upgrading to Lync 2010 sometime next year. Out of all the technologies I'm responsible for, this is the one I have the least experience with.

I found 2 courses on the Microsoft Learning website:

Course 10534A: Planning and Designing a Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Solution

Course 10533A: Deploying, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Lync Server 2010

Which would prepare me for taking the 2 tests for MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010.

I'm having a hard time finding anywhere to take these courses. I'd prefer in the Chicago area, but traveling isn't a problem. Microsoft's own locator comes up with no results for both course numbers.

I also searched for Boot Camps since those typically come with a voucher to take the tests. I found a handful of places offering identical programs in Atlanta GA, which leads me to believe they're reselling someone else's offerings.

Has anyone on here taken either of these courses, or a boot camp for this? Where did you take it at, and how was it?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I recently took 10533A at Global Knowledge in Schaumburg. My experience with them has always been top notch. I have very light experience with OCS 2007 R2 so I learned a lot in this class. Just be aware that the course is over 60% focused on voice. I wasn't interested in the telephony component but I'm glad I experienced it. From a design and architecture standpoint it cleared a lot of doubts I had. The labs were extremely valuable and allow you to see most of the Enterprise Voice features along with Unified Messaging. Since the labs are designed for super powerful machines which GK doesn't have, the instructor paired us up and had us distribute the VMs across two machines which worked out perfectly. There's endless typing due to PowerShell but everything is moving towards that so it wasn't a surprise. Overall it's a nice course to understand all the components and how they interact.

There's someone else in Chicago offering a bootcamp covering the two exams. I am going through my notes but can't find who that is. I'll update if I find it.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Thanks cyberguypr. Is it Unitek? I found this: http://www.unitek.com/training/microsoft/mcts_mcitp_lync_server_2010_bootcamp.php

Of course the ONLY time they are offering it in Chicago is coming up very quickly. It's also downtown, so far enough away from me I'd still want a hotel.

The voice stuff doesn't bother me, as I'm actually cross-training to help out the voice side of our "Unified Communications Team". Any idea if Global Knowledge has the 10534A course too? Schaumburg is a lot closer.
    Answered my own question... looks like cost for 10533A and 10534A is $2995 EACH from Global Knowledge. The boot camp from Unitek is only $4995, and it covers both of those courses, plus it includes meals and exam vouchers, so they look like a much better deal.
    Never heard of Unitek. I found my notes and it turns out I was confused. The bootcamp I was looking at was outside IL.

Yes, GK has the 10534. Full calendar for Schaumburg: Chicago (Schaumburg)*IL IT Training and Business Training - Global Knowledge Training Center
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Never heard of Unitek. I found my notes and it turns out I was confused. The bootcamp I was looking at was outside IL.

It really isn't a big deal if it is outside of IL since the company is paying for it and all travel expenses. I care more about it being a reputable training provider than anything.
    OK, found it: MCTS and MCITP: Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Configuration and Administration - Boot Camp Training Package & Certification Exams in NY, NV, DC & Online. I have two acquaintances who attended their Exchange training and liked it. It includes hotel and exams.

Forgot to mention that I got a BOGO deal so ended up paying $3,000 for Exchange 2010 and Lync. If interested you can reach out to a GK training consultant to see what offers they have running. From what I've been told there's always something unpublished going on. Also, if your company has Software Assurance you can use SATVs.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    OK, found it: MCTS and MCITP: Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Configuration and Administration - Boot Camp Training Package & Certification Exams in NY, NV, DC & Online. I have two acquaintances who attended their Exchange training and liked it. It includes hotel and exams.

Forgot to mention that I got a BOGO deal so ended up paying $3,000 for Exchange 2010 and Lync. If interested you can reach out to a GK training consultant to see what offers they have running. From what I've been told there's always something unpublished going on. Also, if your company has Software Assurance you can use SATVs.

I had found that link too, didn't like it because they don't list pricing. You have to contact them for it, lame.

Yes I think we have some SATVs available... looks like Unitek is a Microsoft Gold Partner and will take SATVs for their boot camp, so I may just do that.