Which two exams from CCNP security should i give

mirror51mirror51 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am little bit confused.
I have no practical work experience in Cisco filed but i do have system and linux administration 3 year experience.

I have finished CCNP CCIP CCNA Security. Now When i see some job desciptions they do mentions Firewall and VPN thing.

SO i am confused which exams should i give so that i can have some knowledge of those things.

Or I don't need to do them as no one is going to put me in that section as i don't have any experience.

Or i should more concentrate on reading some books to grasp more concepts.

The main thing i want to say is that do those "CCNP Security exams" are going to increase any chnace of entering in Cisco junior level position or not.

I have 2-3months free time. I can finish almost 2 exams in that time. I don't want to do that and i want to study some books to grasp concepts but if you guys say that my those exams can cause some employer to hire me than i will do that.
Also what will they ask me in Interview??

Please guide me

Comments

• TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    If you have the CCNP, CCIP and CCNA-S then I'd forget about getting any more certs until you get some experience under your belt. Skip the studies and start hitting those job applications now is what I'd do.

Doing any more exams is not going to greatly effect your chances of getting a job
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    You need to combine your experience and certs = PROFIT

You should've look for a job entry level NOC job before getting CCNP or CCIP. These certs are in depth topics of RS and QOS, BGP & MPLS.

What do you think will a Manager say with a guy with CCNP, CCIP, CCNA-security without practical work experience in Cisco?
    The economy is so bad that Senior Techs or Engineers with just CCNA are probably looking for a job.

Help yourself and find a entry level networking job.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah i agree. if you are going to go into the networking field you really need some experience to back this stuff up with. When i say experience i mean networking experience. Your linux skills would be a great asset for a NOC role! Im a net engineer but have to use linux on a regular basis in this environment.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • mirror51mirror51 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    actually i had ample time in hand before finding new job , so i just finished exams. But if you guys say i can just remove CCNP CCIP from resume if that can put some negative impact
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree with everyone else, you are overly qualified skill wise with no experience. Its like looking at a honda civic labled with 500HP and 450tq, but no one has ever heard of it or seen it drive. We just cant go by the label anymore, people have to know the past and experience of the person, in this case the car.

Sorry for my poor analogy and i dont mean to call you a honda civic lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • mirror51mirror51 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thank guys

So in my resume should i write only CCNA or i can include CCNP as well
  • trikitriki Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I were you I would do both I would start searching for a job and studying at the same time the reason for that is the more you know the better.In addition to that I would agree with not putting all your certs on your resume .What I have learned in IT its sometime good to not let your employer know everything about you
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    triki wrote: »
    If I were you I would do both I would start searching for a job and studying at the same time the reason for that is the more you know the better.In addition to that I would agree with not putting all your certs on your resume .What I have learned in IT its sometime good to not let your employer know everything about you

I tend to disagree. While having a CCIE might "price you out of the market", I don't think having a CCNP and CCIP while going for "entry level" Network Engineer position (what ever that means) is a bad thing. I worked with a CCNP in a CCNA position. There was a clear difference in his level of knowledge vs the rest of us (I was working in a NOC with several CCNAs and CCENTs). He told us that while he interviewed, they did ask him about his CCNP and he basically told them that he didn't expect to earn more money because of it, he just wanted to further his knowledge. When a Sr Network Engineer position opened up, who do you think got?

By all means try to find a job but don't feel that you should stop certifying because you "have enough". That extra cert can be the difference between someone giving you a shot and not. I suggest looking at doing CCDA and CCDP rather than two CCNP:S exams. I think you may want to try to find some contract work as well. There are a lot of NOCs out there that look for people to work tickets on a contract basis. Maybe try to find some ISPs and Cisco Partners in your area and start applying (CCDA and CCDP would look great to a partner).

chrisone wrote: »
    Its like looking at a honda civic labled with 500HP and 450tq, but no one has ever heard of it or seen it drive. We just cant go by the label anymore, people have to know the past and experience of the person, in this case the car.

Certs != Experience. We all know that there are only a few certs that actually require measurable experience to obtain. We also know that no two people are going to be exactly the same. Some CCNAs get to touch mulinational networks. Others do Mom and Pop repair. I don't think having a cert is an indication of having a certain level of experience. In a perfect world, all certified people would have experience in all of the topics that a certification covers but we all know that isn't the case.
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »

What do you think will a Manager say with a guy with CCNP, CCIP, CCNA-security without practical work experience in Cisco?
    The economy is so bad that Senior Techs or Engineers with just CCNA are probably looking for a job.

He isn't trying to compete for a senior job so what does this have to do with anything?

mirror51 wrote: »
    thank guys

So in my resume should i write only CCNA or i can include CCNP as well

Why would you do that? If you weren't going to put them on your resume, why did you spend 600+ dollars on doing them?