ROUTE OCG vs FLG

EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
I purchased ROUTE OCG and I'm up to Chapter 4 at the moment... is it just me or does the author needlessly go on and on? I can't help thinking that some of the concepts that take pages and pages could have been summarized in about half a page ...does anyone else feel like this? And after all of that I still have to go back and reread the thing... maybe it's just me not being used to taking in so much "detail".

How does FLG compare to OCG? Anyone own and read both and can tell me what they think? (I've already read the packetlife article).

Thank you

Comments

• RickRandhawaRickRandhawa Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get Chris Bryant's CCNP study guides. It'll be way more concise, yet include most of the revelant/important information needed to pass the exam.
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Get Chris Bryant's CCNP study guides. It'll be way more concise, yet include most of the revelant/important information needed to pass the exam.

Chris Bryant has a study guide? As in, a written book study guide?
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    You think the OCG has too much detail? The FLG is a significantly larger book covering the same topics. It goes into further detail than the OCG, but that's also one of the reasons many prefer the FLG over the OCG.

I have the OCG, and other than having typos everywhere, it's fine to me. I never use one book as my sole source of studying anyway.. search the forum there's some long threads comparing the two books. Also, the FLG has a different author so maybe just find out which writing style you like best?
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
    MrBrian wrote: »
    You think the OCG has too much detail? The FLG is a significantly larger book covering the same topics. It goes into further detail than the OCG, but that's also one of the reasons many prefer the FLG over the OCG.

I have the OCG, and other than having typos everywhere, it's fine to me. I never use one book as my sole source of studying anyway.. search the forum there's some long threads comparing the two books. Also, the FLG has a different author so maybe just find out which writing style you like best?

It's not so much the detail I'm concerned about, it's the way concepts are explained (long winded explanations). FLG seems to be more concise and straightforward; I'll take a look and compare both.
  • RickRandhawaRickRandhawa Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Eildor wrote: »
    Chris Bryant has a study guide? As in, a written book study guide?

Yeah, he has ebooks for each of the CCNP Courses...I know what you mean though about the long winded explanations from Cisco Press book. Thats why I dont bother with them. Sure, they might go slightly more in depth but a month after it's all said and done all the "extra" stuff is forgotten. I like to stick to the Bryant stuff thats distilled down to the most important concepts/topics.
    Yeah, he has ebooks for each of the CCNP Courses...I know what you mean though about the long winded explanations from Cisco Press book. Thats why I dont bother with them. Sure, they might go slightly more in depth but a month after it's all said and done all the "extra" stuff is forgotten. I like to stick to the Bryant stuff thats distilled down to the most important concepts/topics.

I'll be checking it out for sure -- would seem that the consensus is that you need multiple study materials when it comes to CCNP anyway.

Thank you all!
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used both to pass ROUTE and I'm glad I did. Each book helped to solidify the concepts. You have to be very sharp on the details because you will need to understand how to apply the knowledge you've learned to pass ROUTE rather than spit out facts. I would highly recommend using the free Cisco NetAcademy lab manual for ROUTE in addition to the FLG and OCG. Also, Use the memory tables in the OCG - they are your friend.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    vinbuck wrote: »
    I would highly recommend using the free Cisco NetAcademy lab manual for ROUTE in addition to the FLG and OCG.

Sorry mate, I can't seem to find it. I found a lab book on Amazon but that certainly wasn't for free. If you'd be kind enough to link me to where I can download the lab manual I'd appreciate that very much.

Thank you
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Had to search back a ways but found the thread that linked it before:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/71180-ccnp-route-lab-manual-cisco-academy.html

(Also see my new thread where I found the corresponding switch lab manual!)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
    bermovick wrote: »
    Had to search back a ways but found the thread that linked it before:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/71180-ccnp-route-lab-manual-cisco-academy.html

(Also see my new thread where I found the corresponding switch lab manual!)

Downloaded them both -- cheers!
    Just ordered FLG, hoping it's going to be clearer than OCG. Guess what I'll do is alternate between the two, chapter of FLG and then relevant chapters of OCG.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I found the OCG confusing until I finished reading the FLG, but ultimately I like the OCG better.

Having both really helps though so you can cross-reference when you get hung up on a concept.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    FLG > OCG for sure.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    I liked the OCG better cause it was written by Odom and his way of describing things seems to click with me better. Ultimately it doesnt hurt to use either, infact I'd encourage it!
    Hopefully reading both will prepare me better for when I want to study CCIE level stuff.