What company would you "jump ship" for?

13»

Comments

• badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    Depends on what aspect of manufacturing. Having been exposed to many different manufacturing verticals, it is largely dependent upon where you fit in the organization. At the plant level? Not so interesting, challenging nor are there good opportunities to advance. At the corporate level? Completely different due to having critical IT systems in place (My $0.02).

That being said, there is no "dream employer". I am always reminded that even within Fortune 500 companies, a significant portion are no longer in existence. Worldcom? Lehman Brothers? Arthur Anderson? Blockbuster? Who could have anticipated their fall from the pinnacle of success.

Therefore, I always evaluate and qualify any employment opportunity, with the deciding factor is if I can move my career to the next level. Companies come and go, and therefore the best way to ensure my survival is to advance when a good opportunity presents itself.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    badrottie wrote: »
    Depends on what aspect of manufacturing. Having been exposed to many different manufacturing verticals, it is largely dependent upon where you fit in the organization. At the plant level? Not so interesting, challenging nor are there good opportunities to advance. At the corporate level? Completely different due to having critical IT systems in place (My $0.02).

That being said, there is no "dream employer". I am always reminded that even within Fortune 500 companies, a significant portion are no longer in existence. Worldcom? Lehman Brothers? Arthur Anderson? Blockbuster? Who could have anticipated their fall from the pinnacle of success.

Therefore, I always evaluate and qualify any employment opportunity, with the deciding factor is if I can move my career to the next level. Companies come and go, and therefore the best way to ensure my survival is to advance when a good opportunity presents itself.

I should of indicated at the corporate level. I spent ~3 years of my life supporting IT services for a manufacturing company and I absolutely loved it. Good people, great culture, structured policies and procedures, six sigma methodologies. Everything about it appealed to me.

The environment was very exciting.
    -LIS intergration into new ERP technologies
    -Rooting out IT and Business Silo's and integrating and aligning business process with technology services.
    -Utilizing Value-chain analysis in a systematic approach to assess and improve business processes.
    -Learning vertical software systems (This was exciting)
    -Still implementing cutting edge horizontal software packages

It was a great environment to work in. Extremely competitve and exciting.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I already get to work on one of the largest private networks available. I'm already in a lead role.

At this point, I'd only jump ship if I found a position that my wife and I both agreed was a positive step forward.

And with that said, it's time for me to jump ship to the library, and get back to working on this Master's!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I was poking around on LinkedIn and saw this Systems Administrator job @ Blizzard, which reminded me of this thread since quite a few people mentioned them... Senior Systems Administrator at Blizzard Entertainment in Irvine - Job | LinkedIn
  • baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    I would jump ship and work for well known companies like General Electric, Boeing, Airbus, Facebook, Google, Yahoo.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I've worked for computer gaming companies and it's not all fun and games (pun intended). They are usually very tight on money and work the people they have to death. This includes both the people in development working on the product (software developers, artists, etc.) and those in IT taking care of the infrastructure (admins, techs, customer support). Because of their revenue, Blizzard is probably better than most.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    JDMurray wrote: »
    They are usually very tight on money and work the people they have to death.

Sounds no different than working for a MSP/Consulting firm!

I'd jump ship for Nintendo. Especially Nintendo Japan.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/