Options

Frame relay

alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
Frame relay set up

I'm finding it difficult to run a frame relay lab because u have to set up the frame relay switch first. Obviously this makes sense but it almost seems that at the CCNA level you wouldn't be expected to configure the frame switch because the books I've read and videos I've watched always say "this is the frame relay cloud and we don't care what's inside - now configuring our routers" and I'm like we'll yeah I can enter the config but it's never gonna work because I don't have the dlci's set up on the frame switch.

I tried going through the step by step guide for the frame relay switch set up in this site but I got quite confused on the frame map statements for the dlci routes. I couldn't quite see what was going to where via here.

Did anyone else have this problem when trying to set this up?

Comments

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah, I thought it was a little confusing the first time I configured my switch. What I did was take a working config that I found (Frame Relay Switch Configuration For Cisco Lab) and then study it to modify it to my own working config. Most of the books I found are written from the real world premise of not having to worry about configuring a switch, since that's not what you'll run into in most networks. Anyway, I think everyone has to take some time initially to wrap their heads around dlci's and frame map/interface dlci statements. In the link I posted Bryant does a decent job of breaking down what's happening in the config. Check it out and see if it help.
  • Options
    oh cool this looks good - the first line from the site says '[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many CCNA certification candidates want to add a frame relay switch to their Cisco router lab, but aren't quite sure how to configure one.'[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so straight away I think this should help. I'll get configuring and see how it works out. Thanks for the link.
    [/FONT]

• Options
    hi all,

just having some problems with a frame relay set up. I think I've done everything right on the frame relay switch as everything seems to be active when I look at my frame map statements but I still can't get the mappings to become active. any ideas?

Router 3

interface Serial0/1
    ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0
    encapsulation frame-relay
    frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.1 301
    frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 301

Router3#sh frame map
    Serial0/1 (up): ip 192.168.1.1 dlci 301(0x12D,0x48D0), static,
    CISCO, status defined, inactive
    Serial0/1 (up): ip 192.168.1.2 dlci 301(0x12D,0x48D0), static,
    CISCO, status defined, inactive

frame-switch

interface Serial0/0
    ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 102
    frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.3 103
    !
    interface Serial0/1
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    interface Serial1/0
    no ip address
    clockrate 64000
    no frame-relay inverse-arp
    frame-relay intf-type dce
    frame-relay route 102 interface Serial1/2 201
    frame-relay route 103 interface Serial1/3 301
    !
    interface Serial1/1
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    interface Serial1/2
    no ip address
    clockrate 64000
    frame-relay route 201 interface Serial1/1 102
    !
    interface Serial1/3
    no ip address
    clockrate 64000
    frame-relay route 301 interface Serial1/1 103
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    On Router 3, you don't need the second mapping command since R1 will forward the packets to R2 from R3. By the way, you may want to remove the interface configuration on Serial0/0 on your frame-relay switch. You can easily do that by issuing the no encapsulation and no ip address. Assuming the mapping works on your R2, you should try to follow the configuration on it for your R3 but of course you can't use the same number and address.